Blog Post Chapters 2 & 3 Street Life

After reading the first three chapters of Victor Rios’ Street Life, I feel sorry for Dr. Rios about the events he is telling his audience. In looking at the imagery he uses to tell his story, I observed that he uses visual and auditory imagery in the first three chapters of his autobiography.

The first type of sensory detail I want to focus on is visual imagery. In chapter 1, Dr. Rios describes how the audience is before he does his speech to his fans who came to see him. The sensory detail that follows is,”A giant spotlight beams right into my eyes, halfway blinding me, but the glare of this light is not going to stop me from telling my story” (Rios, 1). The effect this has is that the author wants to let the reader imagine how bright the light is and how he’s unable to see but doesn’t change the fact that he will be doing the speech no matter what.

The second type of sensory detail I want to focus on is auditory imagery. In chapter 2, Dr. Rios introduces his mom Raquel and the challenges that she went through throughout her life like being kidnapped. The sensory detail that follows is, “When she was 13, she was kidnapped by a man and taken as his wife. He beat and abused her” (Rios, 6). The effect is that the author writes this with the intention to make us picture all the screaming his mom did while he was being kidnaped, he wants us to picture what kind of struggles that his mom went through, and so we can see how he lived his life by knowing all of this.

The third type of sensory detail I want to focus on is visual imagery. In chapter 3, Dr. Rios is on a mission to find his dad that he has never met before, the only thing that he knew was his name and that he was part of the Mexican army. The sensory detail that follows is, “The drive was majestic: lush, green, rainforest vegetation surrounded the highway on each side” (Rios, 11). The effect is that this gives you a soothing vibe and you can see what he sees from his eyes; you can picture his surroundings while driving to find his car.

Overall, These past three chapters were inspiring because he was a failed abortion, grew up without a dad and doesn’t look at his mom as a mom and become a doctor in the end. Dr. Victor Rios wants me to understand that even though you are struggling with the stuff in your life that you can make it far in life if you put your mind to it.

CC BY-SA 4.0 You Can Picture The Struggle… by Victor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Chidiogo 5 months ago

Hello Victor, I liked this post about the book your reading. You included a lot of helpful details. They were also very specific and well written. I have never read this book but it sounds very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

2. Ed 5 months ago

Victor,

great commentary on an aspect of writing that is incredibly important. The best writers use imagery in a way that keeps things interesting and really paints a picture for the reader. Some of the best books are those that you can feel yourself delving into, being sucked in through the writers descriptions of events and scenes. Imagery and vivid description allows us to further portray what we are trying to write about, and are elements that can improve everyone’s writing.

Here’s a resource that discusses the importance of imagery more effectively than I can:
    http://www.literarydevices.com/imagery/

Thank you for your writing,
    Ed

3. Chloe 5 months ago

Victor,
    I liked your thoughtful commentary on the book you have been reading. It is always helpful to try and understand text on deeper levels to catch hidden meanings and metaphors. If this is something you are interested in, I recommend reading, “How to Read Literature Like a Professor” by Thomas Foster (https://mseffie.com/assignments/professor/How%20to%20Read%20Literature%20like%20a%20Professor%202nd.pdf) This helps the reader recognize when we need to interpret the meaning of text. overall, I thought you were able to give some great insight pertaining to the imagery of ‘Victor Rio’s Street Life’
    Hope to hear more!
    Chloe

4. Zach 5 months ago

This is very interesting commentary, Victor. When I write, I like to use as many of the senses as I can to draw my reader into the words, because without our senses we can’t get a clear view of our environment. Visual sensations are often times the best to use, because I would argue that it is the one that is the most important to us. It guides our every move and allows us to have a clear picture of the world we live in. Here is an interesting article about why our sight is so important to us: http://www.germmagazine.com/writing-tips-the-importance-of-imagery-by-mary-keleshian/. I will look forward to your next post.

5. Isa 5 months ago

Victor,
    I have never read this book, however I got a decent handle of what it is about through the descriptions you give. I liked how you incorporated the different types of imagery because in a book, this is very important. Being able to feel like you are experiencing something with the author is what will grab readers attention. I have found that when I read books that include this, I am picturing every event that occurs. A website I found talks about why imagery is so important. The url is http://www.germmagazine.com/writing-tips-the-importance-of-imagery-by-mary-keleshian/
    Thank you for sharing your writing with me.

6. Sophia 5 months ago

Dear Victor,

It was great to read your post about your book that you are reading. This was very complete and full of great details. I will have to read this book, because it sounds very realistic and seems to address many problems in today’s world. This was probably for your English class. Here’s a website to visit about more sensory details in literature: https://study.com/academy/lesson/sensory-details-in-writing-definition-examples.html Thank you for writing this!

Sophie