After reading the first three chapters of Victor Rios’ Street Life, I feel sorry for the events he is telling his audience. In looking at the imagery he uses to tell his story, I observed that he uses visual and auditory in the first three chapters of his autobiography.

The first type of sensory detail I want to focus on is visual imagery. In chapter 1, he is talking to a big crowd, and people are lining up to meet him. The sensory detail that follows is ”One student, a 15-year-old homeboy wearing baggy Dickies pants, white Nike Air Force One tennis shoes, and an extra long white t-shirt, approaches me”(Rios, 2). The effect this has is that Rios explained what the kid was wearing very detailed like if he was familiar with the wardrobe is like Rios understands the kid pain.

The second type of sensory detail I want to focus on is auditory imagery. In chapter 2, he was talking about his mother and how tough she is and how that affected him and his siblings. The sensory detail that follows is ”My mother’s strengths also became her weaknesses. Shutting her emotions off from the world led her to treat my siblings and me with very little affection”(Rios, 7). The effect this is that Rios and his siblings all felt neglected by their mother.

The third type of sensory detail I want to focus on is auditory imagery. In chapter 2, he is talking about his mother and how she was as a mother and what he thinks. The sensory detail that follows is ”I realized some people are not meant to be parents, and they don’t know how to properly nurture their children”(Rios, 8). The effect of this that has had on Rios is to have resentment towards his mother for being one of those people who isn’t supposed to be a parent.

Overall, Dr. Victor Rios wants me to understand that as bad his life was as a child he still made it out alive and is succeeding in life now, and that is possible for anyone who is struggling in life. Another thing he wants me to understand that he is strong enough to tell his story and put it out in the world and I can do the same without fear.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Street Life Chapter 2 and 3 by Elias is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.