Orwell uses the party as a symbol to reflect on how sex has changed over the years in his society. Before all of this Winston and Julia were talking about how everyone at Julia’s job is supposed to be pure and how the people at their job don’t even want a married woman in their work space. “She had had her first love affair when she was sixteen, with a party member of sixty who later committed suicide to avoid arrest. ‘And a good job too,’ said Julia. ‘Otherwise they’d have had my name out of him when he confessed.’ Since then there had been various others. Life as she saw it was quite simple. You wanted a good time; they,’ meaning the party, wanted to stop you having it; you broke the rules as best you could.” (131) Symbolism appears in the text through the party; the government in 1984 doesn’t symbolize these untouchable gods like they portray themselves to be. In reality they’re symbolized as just these regular, ordinary people who enjoy sex and love just as much as the next person. This reveals that Orwell feels almost disappointed in how our society portrays sex and how we take sex for granted among many other things, shown by the fact that the party prohibits everyday things we don’t appreciate enough such as love, coffee, tea, alcohol, etc.  

CC BY-SA 4.0 Is Love A Lost Art? by Chanburak is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Thomas 5 months ago

Chanburak, this is very interesting. Our class read 1984 earlier this year, and we discussed several topics, but I don’t think we ever talked about sex and love. I found most interesting that Julia was happy that her lover committed suicide, so that she wouldn’t be found out by the Party. Most people would expect Julia to be devastated. You might find this article helpful: https://www.shmoop.com/1984/symbolism-imagery.html. Thank you and I look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

2. Thomas 5 months ago

Chanburak, this is very interesting. Our class read 1984 earlier this year and we analyzed many aspects of it, but I don’t think we ever talked about love and sex. I agree with you that Orwell is commenting on the nature of love and sex as something that is taken for granted, and not appreciated or respected. I found most interesting that Julia was glad her lover had committed suicide, so that the government wouldn’t find out. Most people would expect Julia to be devastated, but she doesn’t really seem to care. You might find this helpful: https://www.shmoop.com/1984/symbolism-imagery.html. Thank you and I look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

3. Zach 5 months ago

Thanks for your post, Chanburak. I am in total agreement with you about the symbolism that is used in 1984, and how the party seems to be a metaphor. Julia and Winston are also a part of the metaphor, and how it is possible to escape from the loop. Sex in our society has become both a taboo and something that we either take for granted or don’t even think about in terms of morality and purity. This article further talks about the topic you discussed: https://www.litcharts.com/lit/1984/themes/sex-love-and-loyalty. I’ll look forward to your next post.

4. Mary 6 months ago

Hi Chanburak, my class read 1984 earlier this year so this post was very insightful because I hadn’t thought about Orwell’s opinion of love. I was a little confused on your argument at the beginning because there were a lot of unexplained quotes that made it sound like a summary. But the end was very good where it begins with, “Symbolism appears in the text…” because you analyzed and crafted your ideas well. I think you will find this article interesting, it is about the political views of George Orwell, https://www.worldsocialism.org/spgb/socialist-standard/1980s/1986/no-986-october-1986/political-ideas-george-orwell. Well done!

5. Kira 6 months ago

This is an interesting insight, Chanburak. When reading 1984, I was intrigued by the hypocrisy of the parties. They are meant to represent the law and the suppression of simple pleasures, and the members of the parties are meant to enforce these oppressive laws through propaganda and fear. All the while, the members partake in the “forsaken”, engaging in romance behind the government’s back. It was shocking to me the fact that Julia was glad that her old lover committed suicide so that she might avoid detection because it almost seems ironic. Live for love, die for love; all at the hands of the government. I think that this article might be of interest to you as it further explores and expounds on the topic at hand: https://www.litcharts.com/lit/1984/themes/sex-love-and-loyalty

6. Logan 6 months ago

I agree that Orwell was certainly commenting on the disposable nature of our society. We take so many things for granted, and Orwell tried to show us how terrible life would be without all of these little things. The flippant nature of sex is also emphasized, with married life carrying none of the value it does in our world, and sex being a meaningless pursuit. Orwell was putting down his vision for the future on paper, and to some extent he was correct. Sex in our society has steadily decreased in significance and value, especially with the rise of “hookup apps” like Tinder. What Orwell foresaw has been realized.
    Thanks for your post,
    Logan Seat