Dear Leaders of America, 

DACA is a Barack Obama approved policy that benefits nearly 800,000 immigrant children who came into the United States “illegally.” The program has many requirements like: No felonies/misdemeanors; applicant must have lived in the United States since June 15, 2012 and entered the U.S. before 16 years of age and must be under 31 before June 15,2012. The benefits of the program include a SSN, drivers license (in most states), ability to build credit, granted work permits, temporary relief from deportation, and removal of obstacles to attend college. The program is not FREE; there is a fee of $495. Work permits need to be renewed every two years, so you will pay the fee as the initial application. If DACA immigrants are following the rules, why doesn’t the government make a more stable plan for us to eventually obtain citizenship?

It can be easy to deport 800,000 children, but what are the effects on the children when they return to a country not familiar to them? I came to the US when I was 4 years old. I grew up all my life in Austin and I love it here. Even if I was not born here, it feels like home to me. I know how to speak, read, and write in English and I know more about the United States than my home land Mexico. I am not what some call “traitor” because I didn’t turn my back on my country; I was innocently brought here at a very young age. I didn’t know I was breaking a law, and I didn’t know this was not my home. But now 16 years later here I am graduating from high school and living my life in the place I call home because I don’t have anywhere else to go. If I get deported I don’t know what Mexico’s living lifestyle is like and how drastically my life will change. When DACA was introduced, I was excited because the government was finally listening to our voices and concerns however as good as DACA hopes to help we need a more stable plan for children to be legalized and protected from being deported. Overall I agree with the DACA policy requirements but I want the government to prioritize the immigrant children and find a resolution to all this controversy.

In my future America I want to see the government find a solution to make legal immigration happen.  I want to see America prosper and open their doors to immigrants in need. I want to see children being protected and helped when they most need it. I hope ya’ll take some time to consider finding a solution to the immigration problem in America. Thank you

Noemi Mora

CC BY-SA 4.0 Dear Leaders of America by Noemi_m is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.