In the book 1984 Orwell uses kinesthetic imagery to focus on the society that has been controlling people’s actions. Part two of 1984 Winston had received a note from Julia in which she slipped in his hands when she accidentally falls and Winston decides to help her get up. Once they separated ,Winston had a frightening feeling and curiosity of what was written on the note, but having to find a private space to read in which he could not be seen was difficult to locate,“Whichever way you turned, the telescreen faced you.”(110, Orwell). During the incident of Julia’s fall and Winston’s help, they were monitored, the telescreens are everywhere and there seems to be no privacy around the society they live in. Winston felt a strong fear knowing that there will be eyes ¨screens¨ are watching him.The people who have the power are the people watching over the actions of others.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Note of Curiosity! by Amelia is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Anna 3 months ago

Amelia, I read 1984 in class not too long ago. The idea of constantly being monitored is eerie. People joke about being watched through their laptop and phone cameras, but there’s a part of me that kind of believes it. Being watched alters the way you act -often makes you act more mannered and in control. One of the reasons the party has more power. I enjoyed your analysis. Would you have passed the note?

2. Emily 3 months ago

Amelia,
    I thought you were very well written and I enjoyed the points you brought up.When I read 1984 I was constantly filled with fear relating to the ominipresence of the telescreens. In a way, Big Brother and the telescreens instilled a feeling of anxiety in me, possibly similar to that of the characters. As you may know, Twitter and instagram are constantly filled with memes about the FBI watching us through our phones/tablets/laptops, and I can’t help but wonder if the governemnt has the same power in our modern world, as big brother and telescreens in the world of 1984. What do you think?

3. Sam 3 months ago

Good analysis of Big Brother’s constant observation of its people. I had not heard of kinesthetic imagery before. Orwell describes the movements of the telescreens, following the characters, in an ominous way. Do you think that our government has the ability to watch us like that of 1984?

4. Catherine 3 months ago

Hi Amelia,
    My school also read 1984. It is a very interesting book with a lot of curious events, especially this idea of being watched the whole time. If you have not read past this part yet, I’m wondering, what do you think is written in the note to Winston? Do you think that the way she passed it to him was smart, or do you think that it was also too risky seeing as how they’re always being watched?
    This book is interesting and the end, I found, somewhat unexpected. I hope you enjoy reading it!