After reading the first three chapters of Victor Rios’ Street Life, I feel good about the events he is telling his audience. In looking at the imagery he uses to tell his story, I realize that he uses visual, kinesthetic, and auditory imagery in the first three chapters of his autobiography.

The first type of sensory detail I want to focus on is kinesthetic imagery. In chapter 1, Victor Rios helped people try to get back to their old selves from their wrong ways. The sensory detail that follows is ”I stand up, walk to the podium, and shake the master of ceremonies’ hand” (pg 1). The effect this has is to allow the audience to feel the courage it takes to stand up in front of a crowd and speak personal business.  Victor wanted the audience to feel what he did  by describing the scene in great detail.

The second type of sensory detail I want to focus on is visual and kinesthetic imagery. In chapter 2, he found out his mom had a rough. The sensory information that follows is ” He beat and abused her”(pg 6). The effect this has is to have the audience feel the pain and unfairness. Victor Rios wanted to see and understand everything he saw at the age he did.  

The third type of sensory detail I want to focus on is visual imagery. In chapter 3, he got a rental to go on a trip and have fun. The sensory information that follows is ”The drive was majestic: lush, green, rainforest vegetation surrounded the highway on each side; the pacific ocean beat its waves against the land”.The effect this has is to have the audience feel the happiness about the environment. Victor wants the scene to be set as beautiful for the reader.

Overall, Dr. Victor Rios wants me to understand that you can’t be held back in life you have to do what you want with your life. He also shows me that life is what you make it when it’s in great detail for other people to see.

CC BY-SA 4.0 About the growing life of Victor Rios by Thomas is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.