1. Ethan 2 months ago

Tyler, Your video was great! It was straightforward and addressed your statement and its points. I agree that Gun Violence overlooked problem nationwide, especially in Philly. What makes this video so great is that you as a “youth” made it, The youth is every community must step forward and demand change because ultimately we are the ones who will suffer the consequences longer but at the same time we are the root of change. Keep up the fantastic work!

2. Whitlee 2 months ago

This is a very important topic right now, especially with all the current gun violence. I’ve noticed a lot of it goes unnoticed, while others are broadcasted on a large scale. I like that you opened the conversation. When it comes to gun violence being talked about things go crazy. All the personal stories are drowned out by big headlines and blaring news stories. It’s good to hear the personal story. I live in Utah and the areas that gun violence happens in are pretty well known. My mom tells me this story all the time of how she wasn’t allowed to go to a park in downtown Salt Lake because of a shooting there, and I see lots of reports of shootings down in an area my dad lives, and nearby. Gun violence needs to be addressed. My family is a gun/hunting family and even I agree. Here’s a good article on gun violence. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/11/06/opinion/how-to-reduce-shootings.html

3. Maggie 3 months ago

Tyler, I thought your video was very well done. I thought it was really cool that you incorperated many people whose lives have been dramtically affected by gun violence. It is crazy to see how many people are affected by this specfic epidemic. Where I am from, this isn’t a problem and it was very interersting to see people react on it in your video. One thing that I always think about is how can we take situations and make them better and this case, there isn’t really a right way to help those involved in gun violence other than trying to reduce gun violence around the country. I found this article on things that can be done to reduce it! I hope you find it interesting. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/11/06/opinion/how-to-reduce-shootings.html

4. Carter 3 months ago

Hey Tyler. I thought that your video was really touching and inspiring. It is sad to see how many lives have been affected by gun violence. It is really important that this topic is brought up and your video is a great example of something that will hopefully inspire change. It was really cool to watch a video where someone actually talked about what was going on in the United States rather than just hiding it and hoping that it goes away. I found this article on how we can help reduce gun violence and I think you should check it out! https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/11/06/opinion/how-to-reduce-shootings.html

5. Will Jones 3 months ago

Tyler,
    I enjoyed watching your video, I had not heard much about gun violence in Philadelphia and it opened my eyes to the problem. Your video and it’s cast was raw and real, and that’s awesome! However, some tips for when you make another video in the future. When you display facts on the screen, make those front and center. If you need to, play the audio behind the facts. Make the facts clear and easy to read. Same with the questions you ask your interviewees. The people you interviewed were super interesting and had lots to say that’s awesome! But I want to know more about them. Where are they from, how old are they, what is their occupation, what are their qualifications on the subject matter? Also try and interview people from all kinds of backgrounds, for this video it would have been super interesting to hear the opionions of police or law makers in Philadelphia. What do you think they would have had to say? Overall, I thought your video was awesome and all these things I’ve listed above are just little things, but the little things add up and that’s how you can go from an “A” in class to thousands of people being inspired by your video.
    Will

6. Brooklyn 3 months ago

Tyler, I really enjoyed this video. It really shows what is happening in the US. This is something we all have to constantly worry about. I agree with the fact that we need to start teaching kids that gun violence is not okay. Many of these issues start from home and if we can reduce that then we can start to see a change in society as well. Here is an article I found about some statistics about gun violence all over the world: http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

7. Reilly Edgar 3 months ago

Tyler, I loved how you went about addressing such a sensitive topic in your community. Your video is very impactful and I was personally moved hearing from members of your community and how gun violence has touched their lives. Living in a country where thousands of its citizens are killed annually by firearms, it gives me hope to see a young individual taking initiative towards bringing this problem to the forefront of issues in need of solution in the United States. I found an article discussing ways to prevent further deaths (https://www.preventioninstitute.org/focus-areas/preventing-violence-and-reducing-injury/preventing-violence-advocacy), which I think could bring some useful insight to individuals locally in your city and throughout the US.

8. Ceceli 3 months ago

Tyler,
    I really enjoyed the video you made. I am from Utah and gun violence is not as large of an issue in comparison to where you are from. Ive never experienced a friend, peer, or family member be involved in gun violence so the fact you found people who were okay with telling their stories about gun violence is awesome. I think it is so important that you are putting your focus on this issue that affects most people in your community. I looked up some more statistics about gun violence, particularly in Philadelphia and was shocked that rate is one shooting every six hours. But I was a little hopeful once I learned that this has decreased since 2006, when it used to be about one shooting per four hours. This website has some interesting stats the you might be interested in. http://www.philly.com/philly/news/364274961.html

9. Zachary 3 months ago

Tyler,
    This was a very interesting and important topic that needs to be talked about. I liked how you where able to turn this into a video. It was nice to see you go and talk to people in your community and get their opinion on the matter and it let you relate to it on a personal level.
    Best of luck,
    Zach

10. […] Gun violence in Philadelphia by Tyler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. […]

11. Hunter 3 months ago

Tyler,

I really liked this video, because I really hadn’t put much thought into Philadelphia as a gun-violence-ridden city. I suppose when I hear urban gun violence my first thought is always Detroit or Chicago. I think if you continue to work on this project, you should see what people outside of your city think. Obviously firsthand accounts are the most important thing to have, but it would be interesting to see if people that don’t have that stuff going on next to them realize the extent to which it is a problem near you. You are an awesome advocate for awareness, and I hope that you can get more videos like this out there so that more people can see them.

12. Colin 3 months ago

Tyler, I really enjoyed your research on the topic. Gun violence has become a topic of normality which is not ok. For people who have not experienced it in their own city they do not know the pain and terror it brings to a community. I live in Salt Lake in a community where guns are not an issue. It it very sad to see that guns get placed in our brains at an early age and with proper education some of these deaths could be eliminated. I think cities like Philadelphia and Chicago need a long term solution to gun violence. Guns are always going to be around whether legally or illegally, it is finding a solution to communicate with people so anger doesn’t result in violence. I think learning how to properly communicate is a very important skill and schools should focus on this.

13. Treyvon 3 months ago

Hey Tyler,
    The amount of work you put into this is astounding. It is a pretty touching story about what is going on in your city and how prominent it is. There is always news about the top stories involving gun violence, but it is much more prominent than what is shown on the news. There is an incredible amount of ignorance to people when they believe that gun violence isn’t an issue because they have not experienced it themselves. I hope that your video gets more recognition and you are able to speak more about what you believe in. I hope you continue your efforts in spreading awareness of this problem. Great job.

14. Sam 3 months ago

Tyler, good work on the video. It was very informative and eye-opening. I wasn’t aware that gun violence was such a problem. It’s also depressing that the issue can be solved with education, but no steps are being taken in that direction. I hope that videos like this will change the future of Philadelphia and other cities, ending unnecessary gun violence. Solutions are available and should be pursued.
    Sam

15. Tess 3 months ago

Tyler, this was a really shocking video that really changed my perspective on gun violence in Philadelphia and in America as a whole. Personally I believe that fire arms should be illegal and that we need to implement stricter gun laws. Gun violence is consuming America and it needs to be addressed. Crimes involving gun violence are being committed by young adults and teenagers in settings like high schools and movie theaters. I think we need to start teaching children about the consequences of guns and start educating people more. I found an article I thought you might find interesting: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/opinion/school-shootings-guns.html?rref=collection%2Ftimestopic%2FGun%20Control&action=click&contentCollection=timestopics&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=collection

16. Simon 3 months ago

Tyler, This video was very interesting and included some great topics and looks at some of the causes of gun violence. It is very sad to hear that all of these issues really could be solved through education and afterschool programs. Although that may be an oversimplification it would definitely be a step in the right direction and would be one solution to a part of the problem. I am very excited to see people talking about solutions rather then just condeming the problem.
    Thanks, Simon

17. Chloe 3 months ago

Hi Tyler!
    I thought your video was really interesting because it made the situation more real. We hear about gun violence everyday in the news and have unfortunately become numb to these types of issues. But watching your interviews brings back human emotion. Gun violence effects everyone and it is important to try and fi these issues instead of continuing to put them under the carpet. I thought the ideas the interviewees had in the video to fix the violence were progressive. They mentioned giving kids better and further education, activities and things to do besides being on the streets, and informing parents. I found this article interesting (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/11/06/opinion/how-to-reduce-shootings.html) about different opinions on how to reduce gun violence. I hope to hear more about what you think after reading the article!
    Chloe

18. Zoe 3 months ago

Tyler, this was really eye opening and sad to me because where I’m from, gun violence isn’t a problem. We have lost a lot of people to suicide, but I can’t imagine loosing friends more frequently. I don’t know how you guys deal with that. I hope that Philadelphia does something about gun violence because this is unacceptable. You should do a piece on your opinion of legal firearms and how that affects crime. Looking forwards to your next post!

19. Cheryl 3 months ago

Tyler, I love your research on this topic! Your video is very informative and emotional. It’s so sad what is going on in your city. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah and gun violence isn’t an issue here. I believe it’s important you guys are researching and trying to make a difference in your community. I agree with the assumption that reducing gun violence is rooted in education. Young children who aren’t taught at a young age tend to make more dramatic choices. They can’t chose from right and wrong and this makes way for some bad choices. I found this article on gun violence and how we can reduce it. (https://www.preventioninstitute.org/focus-areas/preventing-violence-and-reducing-injury/preventing-violence-advocacy) I’m glad you and your classmates want to make a change. The more we raise awareness on violence and issues such as this, we can learn ways to start preventing it. Keep fighting for what’s right!!