In “1984” by George Orwell, the author utilizes metaphors to reveal that Big Brother manipulates members of the Party like Winston to maintain confusion and to deprive others of the truth. In Chapter 2, Winston was trying to forget about Julia giving him a secret message, so he begins to contemplate his complicated workload. Winston reflects by saying, “It consisted in falsifying a series of production reports of two years ago in such a way as to cast discredit on a prominent member of the Inner Party who was now under a cloud”  (Orwell, 109) This is a metaphor because the inner party member in question was not literally under a cloud. This phrase means that the inner party member was in an unwanted situation where he or she was at fault. Winston’s job is to alter history, but he does not know the purpose of doing so. Winston can adjust this every time he wants to so keeping records is useless because it is not consistent. Big Brother has the power to control party members through their ability to modify records or history which denies members truthfulness. Through Big Brother’s alteration of memories,  the party members are powerless because they can’t decide what is a fact and what is not. Therefore, Orwell’s tone is dark because he describes the exploitation of Winston and the manipulative power of the Party. Orwell’s message to the readers is that the truth is influenced by the motives of the person saying it so trust no one. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 Trust No One by Mauro is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Maggie 2 months ago

Mauro, I thought your post was very good. While reading your post, there were a lot of things running through my brain. I recently read this book and thought it was very interesting on how similar this ‘future’ was to our society now. How do you think Winston altered history? In some ways I think Winston got caught into the came cycle as all the other people living in this world, but there are other things that make me beileve that he changed history. What do you see as the most prominent theme in this book? Great post! I hope you enjoyed the book!
    Maggie

2. Logan 2 months ago

Mauro,
    I liked this post because it highlights the relevance of truth in 1984. One of the main themes of the book is that the truth is whatever the government wants it to be. The people have no grasp on the past, because the government edits out anything they find to be unsatisfactory. Although they have their memories, they quickly begin to believe the government more than what they remember. It is a bizarre phenomenon, and one that I think is relevant in today’s society with the massive influx of fake news.
    Great Post!

-Logan

3. Annie 3 months ago

Mauro,
    How do you think this particular part of the novel relates to our lives and the societies present in the US today? Personally, I see a lot of similarities between our world and the world that Orwell “made up” in 1984. Lately there has been a lot of “fake news” floating around that is not backed up by no research, facts, or support by other resources. Additionally there is a large portion of the population currently denying many facts and statistics, or simply not addressing these ideas, in their statements and therefore limiting the transference of knowledge and historical issues.

Mauro 3 months ago

Annie,

Thanks for the comment. I agree the novel “1984” has a lot of similarities with society in the US. In fact, I think that the book was a warning for the future. Orwell was able to predict this through his ability to evaluate the trends when he wrote the book. Just a remainder, Trust No One.

4. Oliver 3 months ago

You have some interesting thoughts about the book and how society is portrayed when the story takes place. Throughout the book you will see how Winston gains more trust in people but as always worrying about big brother catching him. The biggest fear of all the people was being caught by the Thought Police. If you do not know what they are; the thought police are a secret police force working for big brother that goes past what they want you knowing or going against big brother. As you will see later in the book Winston meets someone he gains trust with, and works to take down big brother.

Mauro 3 months ago

Oliver,

Thank you for commenting and I recently finished the book so at the time I did not realize that O’Brien was the culprit for Winston’s demise. I found it interesting that Winston knew that he was going to get caught and he put his trust in the first person that reached out. This proves that trust should be gain and not given fully all the time. DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER.