Orwell’s tone expressed in the book 1984 highlights symbolism and a Marxist perspective to show how through the eyes of Winston and Julia love for one another is giving them power over Big Brother.  For example, Winston and Julia went to a part of town where Big Brother and the TV’s were not present and enjoyed being away and enjoying each others company.  Winston’s thoughts following this exchange were representative in this quote, “In the old days, he thought, a man looked at a girl’s body and saw that it was desirable, and that was the end of the story.  But you could not have pure love or lust nowadays.  No emotion was pure because everything was mixed up with fear and hatred.  Their embrace had been a battle, the climax a victory.  It was a blow struck against the party.  It was a political act.” (126) Through the quote, Winston and Julia’s physical relationship symbolize that not everyone is afraid and there is a place for hope as their actions were that of pure affection and love.  Winston and Julia have power in this situation as they both care for each other and disobeyed the rules set upon them by Big Brother regarding sex as a reproductive function. As a result of their love for one another Big Brother loses power in the situation as he isn’t the most important thing in their lives making him lose control of both Winston and Julia.  The act of hate and fear are symbolic of the effect Big Brother has in people lives.  Whereas Winston and Julia see it as a thing involving pleasure and love taking away power from Big Brother as he’s not the most important thing in their worlds.  Through the quote, Orwell uses Symbolism to show how both Winston and Julia have power through love and how together they are rebelling against Big Brother’s oppression by caring for one another preventing Big Brother from controlling their lives.   

CC BY-SA 4.0 1984: Power Struggle by Javier is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Emma 10 months ago

Javier,
    This is really well written. I love how you discussed Julia and Winston’s relationship making Big Brother a much weaker force. The idea of love weakening Big Brother’s influence as this feared dictator is really powerful in the novel and you described it well.

Javier 10 months ago

Thanks, Emma, I really appreciate you taking the time to read and comment on my post. Quick question though do you think there is something I should work on or I would appreciate if you shared your opinions based on the story as well.