I tried to imagine how a cop in “The Hate U Give” thinks:

I park on the side, where I stopped the car. I get out the car and proceeded to do what I got to do. I walk aside to the parked car. And proceed to see what I am dealing with. The young black man rolls down his window. Soon after I see his face. I decided to not mess with him. I was quite nervous and anxious about what is going to happen. Also, I see a young black girl in the passenger seat. I haven’t pay any mind to her. I reached for my gun and the kid looks at me with this killer eyes. I stepped back and told them to go on ahead. I thought about why I became a police officer. My dad was a police officer and his father before him. They did as so, drove off. And I am left with my skin cold with anxiety. I’m not sure if it was a good idea to be an officer, Thinking about it makes me sick. Walking back to my patrol car. Inside the car I go. I talk to my walkie-talkie to my chief about what happened. He said I should have done something. But in my point of view, I was dramatic and scared on what could happen with the situation. I breathe in and out, glad that I am safe and sound. I have always thought of myself but not anyone else. The reason why I became an officer was I wanted to be the better officer cause my father couldn’t be an officer anymore. I debating on proving my father that I can do it. But that’s not all, I’m a certain someone though. But it won’t be easy to get revenge even though it’s a bad thing. Since everybody in town started turning on each other. Although going back like around 3 years I went in shock when one of my fellow cop members got shot at. Until this day I never shot any black kid or young black man. But if I did shot a black man, I would have got away with it anyways. I know this for a fact because one of my cop friends got away from something like that. I went all stereotype on that young black man I started thinking about, oh he a negro why did I even stop the both of them.

Photo by Robert Couse-Baker

CC BY-SA 4.0 In The Past by Janasia is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Mary 2 months ago

Hi Janasia, this essay was fascinating because it got me thinking about our police system in America, with all the police brutality news in the media and the black lives matter movement. It shows that maybe our police training is insufficient and they need more education and that sometimes they’re prejudices get the best of them. I was confused at the beginning because I didn’t know what “The Hate U Give” was until I read a comment.

2. Beth 2 months ago

Hi Janasia!
    I have heard a lot about the novel, “The Hate U Give,” and have been wanting to read it. Your post made me want to read it even more. One quote of yours really stuck out to me. You wrote, “Until this day I never shot any black kid or young black man. But if I did shot a black man, I would have got away with it anyways. I know this for a fact because one of my cop friends got away from something like that.” It stuck out to me because of how unfortunately true this is for how many police officers think, as we have seen with the constant news on police shootings of black men in specific. This angers and saddens me, and I hate that we are even having to deal with this extreme prejudice in the 21st century. Check out this article on the high likelihood of black men being victims of police brutality: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/08/the-counted-police-killings-2016-young-black-men

I hope to see more from you on this topic.
    Beth

3. Hailey 2 months ago

Very interesting topic, Janasia. I feel very strongly about police brutality, especially when race is a factor. I found this article very insightful and artistic as it took me to a different place inside the mind of a conciencious cop who questioned “why did I even stop the both of them?” It was a very deep and poetic peice. If you would like to read more on this topic, please look over this article:https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/. I look forward to reading more from you on this topic in the future.