One of the strangest, most American things to me is how people can feel safer with a gun around. It has always seemed so backwards to me. I have heard the argument that says, “If someone tries to shoot up a public place, I would use my gun to shoot them”. It’s fighting fire with fire when what we really need is a fire extinguisher. There are multitudes of statistics that back up the need for gun control. According to CNN, gun homicide rates are 25.2 times higher in the U.S. than in other higher-income countries. How can we ignore the facts? The U.S. has suffered many shootings resulting in deaths whereas other countries suffer from exponentially less gun violence if any at all. In Japan where guns are outlawed, it is as like to be killed by a gun as it is to be struck by lightning.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Gun Control: Fighting Fire with Fire by Emma is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Paul Whitman 10 months ago

After reading your post, I agree that there should be more gun control but I want to add on. My opinion about this topic is that there should be gun control in the us. A lot of homicides and crimes are related to guns. In fact I found that gun control leads to less suicides. In “Procon.org”, I found that, “Between 1999 and 2013 there were 270,237 firearm (gun only) suicides in the United States”(1). I also saw that “In 2007 Switzerland ranked number 3 in international gun ownership rates with 45.7 guns per 100 people (about 3,400,000 guns total). In 2009 Switzerland had 24 gun homicides (0.31 deaths per 100,000 people) and 253 gun suicides (3.29 deaths per 100,000 people)”(2). This shows that one country has more gun control than the other which leads to less suicides. I believe this is good because in 2017 suicide was the second most common way of death in the U.S, so America should have gun control. I researched Gun control would limit homicides caused by guns in the U.S. I have learned in “Justfacts.com” that “Roughly 16,459 murders were committed in the United States during 2016. Of these, about 11,961 or 73% were committed with firearms” (3). I also discovered “Five years after the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, here is a look back at the 20 children and six educators who lost their lives that day” (4). This tells me that by having more gun control it would decrease the possibility of a child shooting up a school, and killing over a dozen people. Finally I also found out that it is very easy to get a gun in the U.S. I found in “CNN” that ,“Gun: You don’t need a knowledge or proficiency test. You usually don’t need a license or permit to buy a gun, unless you live in one of 13 states (and D.C.) that force you to get one. And there’s no probationary period after you get a gun” (5) I also discovered “ The killer, Dylann Roof, bought his .45-caliber Glock at a gun store in Charleston, where he would have been required to pass a background check. Though he had been arrested earlier this year for trespassing and drug possession, he apparently met the legal criteria.
    Roof also displayed racist symbols on Facebook (FB), but the FBI said that kind of information would not come up in a background check, since the database includes information on prohibited persons as defined in the Gun Control Act. Because there was no gun control Dylann Roof killed 9 people in a church (6). This tells me that there should really be more gun control in the United States.

2. Brycee 10 months ago

After reading your article I agree greatly with your view but, I believe your argument is lacking sufficient evidence and reasons. One reason you could include ‘Guns provide almost no protection’. An article published by L.A. Times stated “More than 42% of the time, the victim took some action — maced the offender, yelled at the offender, struggled, ran away, or called the police. Victims used a gun in less than 1% of the incidents.” Another piece of evidence from the article you can use is “Almost two-thirds of the people in the U.S. population live in homes without guns, and there is no evidence that the inhabitants of these homes are at greater risk of being robbed.” Another reason you can use is ‘Guns don’t prevent crime’. Some evidence from the same article you can use is “Recent study found that states with higher levels of household gun ownership have higher levels of firearm crime and do not have lower levels of other types of crime,” and “Another study, in 2003, found that counties with higher levels of household gun ownership have higher rates of household burglary, not lower.” These reasons and evidence can help strengthen your argument and view about this topic.

3. Brodie 10 months ago

I have read you article and, while you did include some strong evidence to support your point, I am on the opposite side of your argument. In my opinion, we do not need more gun control.

First of all why I believe that we do not need gun control is that guns are a great way to defend yourself from an attacker According to, Gun Owners of America, it says, “Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year– or about 6,850 times a day, [1] This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives. [2]” (1). I agree with what GunOwners.org say because Guns are a best way to use for self defense. With those guns it is able to protect yourself or others from dangerous people. The gun will also scare the attacker if they do not have a weapon or have an unloaded gun. From the same article, they state, “States which passed concealed carry laws reduced their murder rate by 8.5%, rapes by 5%, aggravated assaults by 7% and robbery by 3%;” These statistics show that with more guns people would feel or be more safer from attackers that are going to do something very bad like a murder or a robbery. Like the other reasoning the weapon will scare the attacker making them run away or surrender.

Another Reason why we do not need more gun control is that we have our rights. From Law Cornell, they state, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed (Second Amendment)” (1). With this Amendment, The Government is not allowed to take those weapons away from us because it’s against this right that we Americans have. Law Cornell also states that, “No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws (Fourteenth Amendment)” (2). This Amendment allows us to have our own property. The government of the state or country is not allowed to take anything from us. Property, liberty and our lives. The Government cannot infringe that right of taking Guns away because it is property of the people.

The third and final reason why we do not need gun control is that gun control simply does not work. A study done at Melbourne University and a journal of Criminology, they had concluded, “Australia’s temporary gun ban had no effect on the gun homicide rate. Crime Research Prevention Center president John Lott had similar findings”(1). What this shows is that criminals will never listen to laws. If there is gun control then criminals will still buy guns to cause harm and damage to the people. According to the website, Mic.com, they state, “In 2014, Chicago saw 390 murders and more than 2,500 shootings, adding to its reputation as one of the U.S. cities with the highest absolute numbers of shootings and killings” (2). This means that Chicago is a high crime rate area. Chicago also have some of the strictest gun laws in America. With those laws, Guns are still in Chicago. It hasn’t lessen the amount. It had done nothing to stop the gun violence in Chicago.

I understand that your perspective of guns is that they need to be better controlled but no matter what, I will always believe that we do not need more gun control.

4. Brodie 10 months ago

5. Carter Holyoak 11 months ago

This article is really well done. I think that your facts in this article really help to further your point. I really think this is an important topic and it is really cool to see people talking about it. This page on the New York Times is filled with plenty of articles that help show that gun control is something we need. https://www.nytimes.com/topic/subject/guns-and-gun-control

Emma 11 months ago

This somehow got published way before I was done…..but thank you 🙂