George Orwell uses Paradox to tell his readers that in the society that Winston lives in their is a corrupt government that makes things be seen as perfect while it contradicts itself. The Party and Big Brother just tries to empower themselves in Oceania and it is like comparing them to the government and the rich people in the society that we are living in. In 1984 when Winston wrote in his diary about the four Ministries of Truth in the Party he quotes “The Ministry of Peace concerns itself with war, the Ministry of Truth with lies, the Ministry of Love with torture, and the Ministry of Plenty with starvation.” (Orwell, 216) In this quote it illustrates Marxist lens because I think that in the writer’s life he have been torture with lies in the society that he was living in. Having a Party (government) that suppresses the people with lies and starvation it creates a class conflict between the Party/Big Brother with the proles who lives in Oceania. Having the telescreens it makes the people of Oceania not go against the Party because it captures everything that someone gets to do against them that leads them to death. Winston gets to explain the paradox to his readers by illustrating it four times that contradicts itself because having wars it doesn’t create peace. And starvation doesn’t create plenty more food for the proles who live in Oceania because in reality every bad or evil thing creates harm and death. That reveals a helpless tone because the 4 ministries are uncontrollable because they are the are the powerful people. And Winston can change and destroy the Ministries that brainwashes the people in Oceania in order to end the miserable life under the suppression of the Party and Big Brother that keeps controlling it’s people with lies. The message that Orwell is trying to illustrate here is that in order to destroy someone in power to not keep everyone in control everyone who knows the truth has to work together to get others see the truth. But also to illustrate that there is always a corrupt government that makes thing seem good when they are making others suffer.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Contradiction by Olga is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Erica Maggelet 8 months ago

Olga,

I really enjoyed reading your post, especially since I have already read 1984. I found your post interesting because it shed new light on the book and help me see a new perspective on the book. I found it intriguing when you said the “message that Orwell is trying to illustrate here is that in order to destroy someone in power to not keep everyone in control everyone who knows the truth has to work together to get others see the truth.” This portrays the contradiction that you are speaking of. I look forward to reading your writing on 1984 in the future because it allows me to see a new perspective.

2. Tess 8 months ago

Olga, I really liked your post about 1984, and as a student who just finished this novel I think you highlighted some very good points. Your concluding setence was wonderful and I think it summed up your article very well. I alos think it makes a great point, there are always going to be corrupt governments, and I think that sadly to a large extent every government is corrupt in some way. I think you also brought up great examples of manipulation and propaganda that allow for the government to remain in control, which is a very large theme throughout 1984. Here is an article that I think you may find interesting:https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/so-are-we-living-in-1984

3. Walter 8 months ago

Dear Olga,
    I’m surprised about your post, about the book 1884 because this is a really good book and you make an interesting post and in that way more people can get interested about the book.
    One sentence you wrote that grabbed my attention is, “The Party and the Big Brother keep control of it’s own people with lies”, I think this is a nice quote because the world that is depicted in the book is very different than our world right now. And probably today we can see the government always telling lies.
    Another sentence that grabbed my attention is, “Winston can change and destroy the Ministries”, this line is important because according to you what power does Winston possess or owns to destroy the Party. How can he change it if he is always being watch? but the hope and the intelligence will help him.

Thanks for your writing I look forward to see what you write next.