Soccer is the most popular sport in the world. Soccer is also popular in Oakland.  In soccer there are many leagues. In the US, the league is called MLS. MLS  is major league soccer. It has 23 teams and it is in the US and Canada. The closet team to Oakland is the San Jose Earthquakes. Oakland should have a professional soccer team because there are  a lot of kids and  grown ups who like playing the sport and seeing it on TV. Oakland should have a professional soccer team because it would inspire Oakland kids and Oakland needs a new professional team to replace the Raiders and bring the town together.

Firstly, Oakland needs a professional team because it would inspire Oakland kids. Athletes inspire kids through their leadership. Bleacher report says, “The price of being a professional athlete; that they get paid for both their ability on the field and their “leadership” off of it” (Meehan). The most important words in this quote show that even if they are  good on  the field they are good outside as leaders. Students and kids in Oakland need leaders because they need inspiration. If somebody in Oakland was a professional soccer player it  will motivate more people to become a professional soccer player. Cristiano Ronaldo is my favorite soccer player and if he was in Oakland  it would inspire me by doing my classwork and homework and train harder in soccer on everything you need. There is a football running back from the Oakland Raiders, Marshawn Lynch, who went to Oakland Technical High School.  It would be inspirational to have a professional soccer player from my school, if we had a team in Oakland.

Secondly since the the Raiders and the Warriors are leaving Oakland there should be a professional soccer team who can replace them because they already have the field.   According to an article from Business Insider, the Raiders will leave Oakland in the 2019 or 2020 season because the new stadium might take them 3 years to make it (Davis and Gaines).  The article “Here’s What else Oakland is losing, along with the Raiders” says, “In the span of a few years, Oakland will go from having three pro teams to one” (Garcia).  This proves that a professional soccer team would be good for Oakland because they would unite people who don’t like to see or play soccer who would just go there because they like the stadium and would remind them of the Raiders. According to Oakland Post, the Oakland Raiders  gave $20,000 to a Girls Inc., a program  in downtown Oakland to help Oakland kids finish high school and have leadership and make a change (Bobino).  This proves Oakland should have a soccer team because they can do things like the Raiders did with Girls Inc they unite them by a sport. Then it will encourage people to go to programs in Oakland so a sport team can visit them or any famous celebrity.

Sources

Meehan, Tim. “Professional Sports and Their Athletes: Are They Role Models?” Bleacher Report, Bleacher Report, 10 Apr. 2017, bleacherreport.com/articles/1183680-professional-sports-and-their-athletes-are-they-role-models.

http://www.businessinsider.com/raiders-las-vegas-stadium-2017-3

CC BY-SA 4.0 Professional Soccer in Oakland by Gildardo is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Aldo 2 weeks ago

I very much agree there should be a professional soccer team to represent Oakland and I also agree that it will bring the sports out of most Oakland citizens and can bring joy and better well being for people who live in this city.

2. David 2 months ago

Dear Gildardo,

I am really inspired by your piece, “Professional Soccer in Oakland” because I agree with everything you said. It stood out to me that you tied soccer to school and life. How soccer motivates athletes to do better in school. If we had a professional soccer team in Oakland, kids will be more motivated to do better because they would want to be in the team. And the skills they gain in the field like how to be a leader and communicate with others will help them out in their life. Thanks for writing your piece on the best sport in the world. Keep on writing and never stop playing soccer!

Gildardo 2 months ago

Dear David,
      Thank you for commenting on my writing. I also want to ask do you play soccer? what you like about soccer ? write back to me

• David 2 months ago

Hello Gildardo,

Yes I play soccer. I am a defender and I like to work as a team with my friends. I like that soccer helps me forget about any problems and I can just have fun. By the way, Barcelona is the best team!!!!!!!!

Gildardo 2 weeks ago

They are out of champions league. they lost to roma 3-0. Real Madrid is going to win it again.

3. Enrique 2 months ago

Dear Gildardo,
    Im very moved by your post “Professional Soccer In Oakland”. What moved me about your post is how you show a professional soccer team in Oakland can benefit not just the youth but the community as well. Its a great idea to put a sport into a community in order to benefit it in more than one way. Thank you for taking your time to write this and share it out on Youth Voices. I look forward to reading your other post in the future!

Gildardo 2 months ago

Dear Enrique,
      Thank you for commenting on my writing. I also want to ask do you play soccer? And who would you buy from the other teams to play with the oakland team? write back to me

4. Salvador 2 months ago

Dear Gildardo,
    I am moved by your post, “Professional Soccer In Oakland” because you show that you really like the sport. You also show that people should care about kids or people who play in Oakland. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is, “Oakland should have a professional soccer team because it would inspire Oakland kids and Oakland needs a new professional team to replace the Raiders and bring the town together.” It stands our for me because you want to bring the town together by getting a professional soccer team. Soccer should be more than just a sport in Oakland because there are many young teens that are really interested in the sport. Another sentence that I appreciated was, “The most important words in this quote show that even if they are  good on  the field they are good outside as leaders. Students and kids in Oakland need leaders because they need inspiration.” This stood out for me because by having the sport soccer, teens become more responsible of themselves when it comes to school and soccer. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you are someone very motivated. Seeing the way you wrote about soccer makes me want to learn more about what other things you have in mind.

5. Anthony 2 months ago

Dear Gildardo,

I am intrigued by your post, “Professional Soccer In Oakland,” because I also believe that having a professional soccer team in Oakland is a good idea. One sentence that stood out to me was, “Firstly, Oakland needs a professional team because it would inspire Oakland kids.” because I completely agree and this would allow inspired students to strive to become a professional athlete. Another sentence that I agree with is, “Secondly since the the Raiders and the Warriors are leaving Oakland there should be a professional soccer team who can replace them because they already have the field” because we should be focusing on how to keep sports as a part of Oakland’s history.

Thanks for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next.

Gildardo 2 months ago

Dear Anthony,
      Thank you for commenting on my writing. I also want to ask do you play soccer? And you right that Oakland needs a history. whats your favorite soccer team?

6. Takeo 3 months ago

Dear Gildardo,

I am impressed with your article “Professional Soccer In Oakland”. One sentence you wrote that stood out for me was, “Oakland should have a professional soccer team because it would inspire Oakland kids.” I think this is interesting because by the time the Raiders and Warriors leave Oakland in 2019, the city should make a newer, professional soccer team. Another sentence that stood out for me is, “Soccer is also popular in Oakland.” This is also interesting because not only Oakland should make a new soccer team, kids think that soccer is the most popular sport in the world.

Thank you for your time and your writing. I look forward to seeing what you post next time because I’m really interested in what you have here. Thank you for reading this comment.

Takeo