Oakland has always been filled with violence in its neighborhoods and streets. According to Forbes in 2018, Oakland is ranked the third most violence city in the US (Forbes). This has been going on for a long. So how has the level of violence changed in Oakland over the years?

Oakland has been violent literally everyday for a long time. A Oakland parent that was born in San Leandro but lived in Oakland for more than 14 years confirmed that Oakland has been violent for a long time. She states “that Oakland was full of violence in the streets with guns, physical violence, and police brutality” (Lopez). Lopez is saying that the different types of violence have been going on for a while. This is also shown research done by The University of California Berkeley School of Law. The research notes, “Violent crime in Oakland experienced wide fluctuations over the last quarter century but has consistently been higher than comparison cities and the state overall. The rate of violent crime in Oakland peaked in 1992, after which it began a sharp decline and reached a low in the year 2000, which was a 52% decrease over an eight-year period. After several years of relative stability, Oakland’s violent crime rate has generally been increasing again since 2005” (McCarthy). This quotes shows that violence in Oakland is going up and down. Recently, it has been going up again. Police need to start handling the situations more seriously and actually need to start arresting and locking the prisoners more often.  

Oakland now is “better” then it was before but I think there is less violence. Another Oakland parent who has lived in Oakland for over 15 years discusses how it is today. He said, “Oakland was very dangerous before 2015, 2014, 2013 etc. But it has gotten better over the years with some police handling the violence. Other police just get involved in the violence” (Martinez). Research and articles say similar things but it depends on where people live. Stephen Stock notes, “In areas where violence continues to be a serious issue, such as parts of East and West Oakland, the latest census data shows high rates of unemployment (17.06 percent), low education levels and more than 30,000 residents living below the poverty line. The average household income in deep East Oakland ($47,318.50) is only a little more than half the citywide average ($80,758.00)” (Stock). This quote says that violence is still a serious issue but there is also other issues. Those issue can also lead to violence for example, when someone lose their job and they need money so then they rob so they can get money and then it will cause violence and harm other people. Overall, people experiences living in Oakland might make it seem that violence has been decreased over the years but Oakland is still very dangerous; especially West Oakland and East Oakland.

How I think we can make Oakland better is by acquiring more policemen because it will make them more aware and having policemen spreaded out in the streets and neighborhoods will make the streets and neighborhoods a little more safer. Unemployment is a big issue that causes violence and having more people get jobs, it will help Oakland be more safer and will reduce people from being criminals. For young people, they need to get their education and not being in the streets to much because then they will see violence as normal thing. Also having students interests in school will make them like school and then will start coming to school to get education. Unfortunately, things that are out of the school system occur for example, parents losing their jobs will make students want to help their parents and will go for the easiest way to get money which is committing a crime then will lead the student to jail or being seriously injured with gun violence. To conclude, many things lead to violence that need to be solved even though it has decreased but it’s still not enough because Oakland is still the 3rd most dangerous city in the US.

Annotated Bibliography

Lopez, Vanessa . “Oakland vs Violence .” 7 Jan. 2018.

This source is credible she has lived in Oakland for a while. She has also seen violence happen in Oakland around our street we live in. Being surrounded by all the violence has made her paranoid of the streets because of all the violence.

Martinez, Jorge. “Surrounded by Violence .” 6 Jan. 2018.

This source is credible because he experienced violence before I was born and it was worse. He told me that I am lucky for being in the “better Oakland”. I think I am because when I hear from other people, they say that Oakland was worse than today. Jorge explained how his neighborhood was before and I explained how my is and I can tell the difference.

Fisher, Daniel. “Oakland – pg.3.” Forbes, Forbes Magazine, 29 Oct. 2015,www.forbes.com/pictures/mlj45jggj/3-oakland/#201f199c7d73.

This source is credible because the site says that Oakland is the third most dangerous city in the US. Saying that Oakland is the 3rd most dangerous city in the US, it is shocking because I am living in a city that is very dangerous. Forbes also explains that Oakland is the first nationwide violent robberies.

Stephen Stock, Michael Bott, Jeremy Carroll. “Economic Disparity Tied to Gun Violence in Oakland.” NBC Bay Area, NBC Bay Area, 5 Aug. 2016, www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Economic-Disparity-Tied-to-Gun-Violence-in-Oakland-381830371.html.

This source is credible because NBC news be explaining on the different types of violence they find every day and then will explain it on the site. NBC news also explains that the murder rates go down each year. Having the crime rates going down is better than the other years in the past but it is still dangerous.

Stavely, Zaidee. “Violence Causes Ripple Effects for Thousands of Oakland Students.” KQED News, 26 May 2015, ww2.kqed.org/news/2015/05/23/violence-causes-ripple-effects-for-thousands-of-oakland-students/.

This source is credible because KQED news explains how violence can be an accident to innocent people and kill the wrong people. Having kids in the streets can cause death if the criminals start shooting up the place and then will end up killing the wrong person.

Johnson, Chip. “Oakland leaders have lost grip on violence.” SFGate, San Francisco Chronicle, 15 Jan. 2013, www.sfgate.com/bayarea/johnson/article/Oakland-leaders-have-lost-grip-on-violence-4194028.php.

This source is credible because the source is stating that families can’t even go outside in the streets because then someone will get hurt or scared. A family went to a bus and then a criminal pulled a gun out and the kids got scared. No shots were fired but it’s still very dangerous being in the streets full of violence.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Violence Vs Oakland by Alex is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Kamyiah 5 months ago

Dear Alex,
    Your work makes me happy. I’m really happy that someone decided to do a blog post on the violence in Oakland. I feel like the violence in Oakland should definitely be highlighted, because the violence is so important and can be many different types of violence. Your work actually reminded me of my own work because I did my blog on Police Brutality in Oakland (you should check it out). A quote that stood out to me was, “Those issue can also lead to violence for example, when someone lose their job and they need money so then they rob so they can get money and then it will cause violence and harm other people.”, this quote stood out to me because I feel that this is true. Sometimes in Oakland and even other places, people cause violence because they need something Oakland obviously couldn’t provide so they act out. Another quote that stood out to me was, “Oakland now is “better” then it was before but I think there is less violence.” This quote stood out to me because I agree and don’t agree with you about this. The part that I don’t agree with is that you think Oakland has gotten better then it was before. I feel like Oakland has a series of problems and like the gentrification and ICE one we’re having now are as bad as the police brutality issue a couple of years ago. Oakland isn’t better because us as people haven’t united yet, which sucks. But I do agree that there is less violence now, there used to be times of the drug war and when police would highly abuse their power. Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your work is agreeable on some accounts. I really appreciate getting a chance to read your work. If you’d like please reply.

2. Angie 5 months ago

Dear Alex L,
    Your idea of hiring more policeman on duty is questioning because how will it really make a difference? I understand it is to provide more jobs for the people but not many people are qualified for this position. Because who would be hiring these officers and ensuring we hire “good officers” other than “bad officers”. It is just an idea for you to think about to come up with alternatives, maybe proving programs that give people what they need such as food, clothing, and job opportunities so they wont turn to stealing, violent actions or sell drugs for money. Because imputing police officers into the streets of Oakland you wont know if they are officers that will kill another person in cold blood or actually help the community. I am pleased that you wrote a topic on a current important issue.

3. German 6 months ago

Dear Alex L,
    I am moved by your post ¨Violence Vs Oakland¨ because I see the crime and violence in Oakland everyday and know how it can get. This is real problem because it affects many. One sentence you had that stood out to me was,¨The rate of violent crime in Oakland peaked in 1992, after which it began a sharp decline and reached a low in the year 2000, which was a 52% decrease over an eight-year period. After several years of relative stability, Oakland’s violent crime rate has generally been increasing again since 2005¨. This surprised me because it is interesting to see how the crime rate went down and them how it went back up. I wonder what could have caused it. Another sentence you wrote that stood out to me was, ¨more than 30,000 residents living below the poverty line¨ this stood out because i see this in the city a lot and i see how this affects others. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you make good points and you have an amazing writing style.