Violence in Oakland

In Oakland there is a lot of violence that need to stop such as gang violence. Do you think that violence in Oakland can be stopped? What are ways to stop the violence in Oakland?

Based on the research and interviews it is clear that for violence to stop in Oakland that the Oakland Police Department needs specific programs for specific types of crime and to add more police officers who are from and understand Oakland and to find out what is the problem with Oakland.

Increasing programs!

The violence in Oakland is mostly caused by gang violence; but how do we stop violence? To begin, in the article titled “Oakland Creates Department of Violence Prevention” by Rebecca Parr, Rebecca Parr states, “To rein in the violence that has plagued Oakland for years, the City Council has created a new department and charged it with the ambitious goal of reducing homicides by 80 percent in three years”(Parr). This quote is stating that to reduce the violence in Oakland, the City Council has created a new department which will reduce the homicide rates. Also the majority of the homicide crimes in Oakland are because of gang violence, and Parr is saying with this new department , we can change that.  Also, in the article titled, “Can a New Oakland Department Reduce Violence?” by Mark Hedin. Hedin states, “ Those prevention and intervention programs are run by Oakland Unite, under the Department of Human Services. The program tries to support people at highest risk of committing violence, such as those on probation or parole, or involved in gang/group activity” (Hedin). This quote is stating that the programs would help stop violence by going to the people who have the highest risk of gang violence. Also this is one way that gang violence can stop and the prevent the violence in Oakland.

Adding more police officers who are from and understand Oakland

A different way to stop the violence in Oakland is to add more police officers that are from here from Oakland and that are more trustworthy. To begin, in the article titled “What will stop the violence in Oakland?” By Alessandro Tinonga and Todd Chretien; Tinonga and Chretien point out, “the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office provide additional patrol units for crime suppression; authorize a police academy in June 2013; hire 21 new civilian employees in the police department, including support staff for our crime lab. This proposal is the kind of immediate action that we need to reduce violent crime. And I support it wholeheartedly because we need to act right away”(Tinonga and Chretien). The quote is  that  to stop the violence in Oakland, the police department hired 21 people to join police. The police hired people to help reduce the  violence in Oakland. Secondly, an article titled “Oakland police’s new push on Ceasefire program” by Will Kane, Kane notes, “Oakland authorities are trying to resuscitate and expand a long-standing anti violence program that officials agree has been too low a priority for the city’s Police Department. Starting in September, police will assign nine officers solely to Operation Ceasefire, a controversial 6-year-old initiative where police and community leaders use a carrot-and-stick approach to stop shootings and killings in Oakland, city officials”(Kane). This quote is significant because the Oakland authorities are adding new police to help stop shootings in Oakland. Also the officers are going to the the community leaders of Oakland.

What is the problem with Oakland

What do people think the problem with Oakland? I have interviewed two people to answer the question. To begin, I have interviewed a person named James. James  explains, “ I think the only problem with Oakland is the rep, like if I told someone that I am from Oakland then they will be liked scared”(James). This quote matters because James says the problem with Oakland is the rep. Also the rep is cause by violence in Oakland and with less violence oakland will have no more poor rep. Also I have interviewed a woman who has lived in Oakland for 22 years named Virginia says, “ I think the problem with Oakland is that there is too much violence”(Gonzalez). This matters because a person who has lived in Oakland for 22  years has noticed that there is too much violence. Also she states that is the problem with Oakland.

Some people might say that violence in Oakland can not be stopped. In an article titled “Posts Tagged san jose police” written by unknown.The quote in the article states, “Officers found the 34-year-old San Jose resident suffering from a gunshot wound to the face there, and he was taken to a local hospital where he was being treated for non-life-threatening injuries Sunday”(unknown). This quote states that even with officers people are still suffering from gunshots. All it says that officers will not do nothing to stop violence.

Annotated bibliography

Parr, Rebecca. “How to stop violence in Oakland.” 30 June 2017.

I have read an article by East Bay Times written by Rebecca Parr. The article was about ways to prevent violence in Oakland. One way to prevent violence in Oakland is to have better law enforcement.

Gonzalez, Virginia. “Violence in Oakland.” 5 Jan. 2018. Gonzalez, Virginia. “Violence in Oakland .” 5 Jan. 2018.

I have asked Virginia questions about the violence in Oakland. She is a mother of 3 and has lived in Oakland for 22 years. She thinks that the problem with Oakland is the violence.

James. “Bad Things in Oakland .” 3 Jan. 2018.

I have asked James a question. The question was about the bad things in Oakland. He said he does not like the rep Oakland has like if someone said that they are from Oakland the people will be scared.

Hedin, Mark. “Can Violence in Oakland be Stopped.” 9 June 2017.

I have read an article about if violence in Oakland by Mark Hedin. The article is about the question, can violence in Oakland be stopped. So far the community has held a anti violence rally.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Violence in Oakland by Chris is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Una 5 months ago

Dear Chris,

Thank you for sharing your work. My name is Unaloto and I am a student at Fremont High School.
    Something I liked about your work was that you used a lot of information.
    Something I have a question about is do you think police officers will stop the violence or add to ? Please feel free to comment on my work in the future.
    Thank You!

2. Leslie 6 months ago

Dear Chris:
    I am happy to read your post , “ Violence in Oakland” because it talks about what is the problem in Oakland. I like how you had divided paragraphs talking about an specific topic because it would be easier to read and it would also be easier to find information someone would like to know about. One sentence you wrote that stand out for me is “ This quote states that even with officers people are still suffering from gunshots. All it says that officers will not do nothing to stop violence”. I think this is a important sentence because it shows that not only any other person shoots it’s also the police officers that be shooting people and that’s not good because instead of them helping people to be safe or try to stop violence they are adding in violence and they are not giving a good example for anyone. Your post is good and you should keep it up. Thanks for your writing hopefully people read it and understand what’s happening in Oakland.

3. Josue 6 months ago

Wow! That was such of an description of how we can fight against the violence in Oakland. Specifically on how you described on how their are multiple perspectives of outsiders thinking about Oakland. It is really important to include multiple voices because it lets the reader better comprehend your point. Also, you are tackling with a subject that is greatly frowned upon. You, writing about this topic makes your point of view greatly fortified by having great evidence.

4. Nakiah 6 months ago

I am happy about your blog. It is really nice and it provides a lot of information. One sentence that stands out to me is ” The police hired people to help reduce the violence in Oakland” because they are assigned to reduce the crime and that is there job but, they are not doing it really well. The can not hired people but if the people help reduce violence then that would be great. Another thing that stood out to me is ” a person who has lived in Oakland for 22 years has noticed that there is too much violence” because she/he has lived here for 22 years and has noticed the violence but, is is getting lower or higher. Your blog reminds me of the real Oakland because it has a good interpretation even though it is on oakland. Thanks for your writing I love all the detail it really stood out to me.