Cesario Barrera

English

Ms.Portugal

1/12/18

Violence in Oakland

Did you know that in 2002 there were 108 murders and in 2016 there were 85 murders. My name is Cesario Barrea and my question is, “has violence changed in the past years in Oakland?” Based on my research, people feel more safe today than in  2000. I believe

Firstly, it is clear that in the last 17 years violence has changed in Oakland, Oakland has confirmed by various interviews with community members. Eliseo Barrera is a father in Oakland  who has lived here for 23 years. He said that Oakland has changed a lot in the past years he lived here. Also he told me a lot of stories based on his experiences with violence.  In an interview with him in Spanish he said “ I’ve seen a lot of things in Oakland. I’ve seen people get mugged and I would walk away because if they saw me, then I think you know what would happen. I also have seen people rise and fall down because of their past, but in these days it’s more calm. People don’t sell drugs or kill other people. It’s more calm and I like it that way”(Barrera). This quote is important because he told me that he has seen people get mugged in the past but when he talked about the present he said nothing about violence he said it is more peaceful and he likes more now than ever. I asked an adult about the worst time in Oakland that happened to him he told me he got robbed,he got jumped and he got in lots of lights and seen people died. He says the crime rate dropped and he didn’t seen people do bad things as they use to do.I talked to my brother because he has been in Oakland about 15 years and knows a lot about the past Oakland and he was in the one of the bad years of Oakland. An adult in Oakland said “ ya fool Oakland in the years I came in i’ve been in lots of fights, and I won almost all of the, but i’ve been jumped and mugged, but now at this time it’s more calm and less violence”. This quote matters because an adult in Oakland who has live more his life in Oakland then where he was born, said that their was so much violence and fight that he has experienced and he then said in these years it’s more peaceful and nice and calm.

Alongside interviews, these stories of a changing Oakland are confirmed by statistics as well. On the website called city-data.com, I looked at year 2002 and year 2016 and looked at Burglaries. I also trust this source because City-Data sees over 14 million users per month (July 2016) and has been featured in 121 books, on CNN, WABC in New York, Bay News 9 in Tampa Bay and USA Today’s Hot Sites, among others.

The first image is in 2002 and the second one is in 2016. It says that in 2002 there were 4,252 burglaries in 2002 but in 2016 their were 2,900 reported. This shows that Oakland has changed in these past years.

Another website that I found is Oaklandmofo.com and this source gave me more that 20 years so this is a great source . I also trust this source because a lot of this data matches with other ones and it came straight from the police department in Oakland. This website noted

This shows that the killing is going down in years and also people should know that there is hope and they should help stop violence and see that we can stop and live together without hare.

COUNTER CLAIM– -Some may believe it is not changing, or not changing quick enough.Data shows that there is till violence. In city-data.com I found that their is still crime and Oakland is worse than other places.

This shows that there is 2,900 reported burglaries and people would assume that there’s a lot of violence and it will never change but they don’t know that almost a thousands burglaries went down. In another website that I found it said that 2017 had 76 homicides reported and people out of Oakland would be scared and say that they shouldn’t go there and might spread rumors. So if they don’t know the actual information they shouldn’t say crucial comments about Oakland.

Conclusion– Though there is still crime, it is better and is only going to improve more over the next years so people shouldn’t be scared and be able to stand up.

Annotated Bibliography

Barrera, Alonso. “Level of violence in the past of Oakland ca.” 26 Dec. 17.

My older brother is really great and when I asked him about the worst time in Oakland that happened to him he told me he got robbed,he got jumped and he got in lots of lights and seen people died. He says the crime rate dropped and he didn’t seen people do bad things as they use to do.I talked to my brother because he has been in Oakland about 15 years and knows a lot about the past Oakland and he was in the one of the bad years of Oakland.

Barrera, Eliseo. “Crime rate in Oakland ca.” 26 Dec. 17.

My dad told me that when he was in Oakland he saw people get robbed and people wouldn’t do anything and my wouldn’t know how to speak english so it was hard but he said these days now its more easy and you can trust your kids more now. I choose my dad because he had lots of jobs and he came to Oakland when he was thirteen and lived in lots of places of Oakland.

.Patino, Aldemira. “Crime rate in Oakland ca.” 26 Dec. 17.

My mom has worked in Mcdonalds for very long and had to use bus to get to work and she been seeing downtown and the streets and told me that its very different. She Said you would see people in suits and going to work and in the streets she would see little kids playing in the streets in front of gangs because they have nowhere to play.I choose my mom because she lived her for a long time. Also she took bus for a job that was in downtown so she knows a lot of places and what happen

crime statistics maps. “Oaklandmofo.com.” Oakland homicide rate 2018, Oakland statistics crime, 6 Jan. 18, .com.

I choose this article because it gives me a lot of evidence and it comes from one of the police station in Oakland and they record everything so I know this is trustworthy. Alos I trust this because it comes from some of the people who hold up the law so why would they lie.

Police department. “Crime statistics.” City of Oakland ca, Police department, Jan. 18, .com.

This scite shows and tells a lot of data. So not only they tell me they give me pictures and I am a visual learner. They also give me 2010 to 2016, so that good for my question because I want to know the difference in the past years. I also trust this source because it comes from Oakland and from the people who hold up the law.

city data. “Crime in Oakland ca.” City-Data.com, Carto DB, 9 Jan. 18, .com.

This source give me data from 2002 to 2016. So this gives about 14 years of data and it shows me the up and downs in the data. I also trust this source because it comes from a lot of people who came to gother to tell us what is going on in Oakland.

neighborhoodscout. “Oakland california crime rates.” Neighborhoodscout, Neighborhoodscout, 6 Jan. 18, .com.

This source gives me all the numbers such as the populations and fractions, so I can do the math myself and check. They also give me bar graphs and more.I trust this source because it came from lots of people so I think they checked their work over all.

trulia. “Crime data in Oakland.” Trulia, Trulia, 7 Jan. 18, .com.

I think this source is great because it shows the data and its in color code. So I can tell the difference and looked like the places where the whites lived they had less violence rates and Oakland had worse. I trust this source because it not one person and their are more than one so they can check their work.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Violence in Oakland by Cesario is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Daniel 9 months ago

Dear cesar: Violence in Oakland

Your blog is very good, I really enjoyed reading it and you got  great facts and articles that support your argument. Your hook really caught my attention and made me continue reading more. When I was reading your blog, it was so interesting to me, I started thinking about some question and hoe Oakland is turning into a better community if gentrification takes over all the bad areas in Oakland, to kick out all the bad people who are causing crimes in their neighbor and making a bad place to live. During your blog I seen one of your interviewee said, “ I’ve seen a lot of things in Oakland. I’ve seen people get mugged and I would walk away because if they saw me, then I think you know what would happen. I also have seen people rise and fall down because of their past, but in these days it’s more calm. People don’t sell drugs or kill other people. It’s more calm and I like it that way”(Barrera). They said its calm, doesn't that mean during the past years gentrification have literally caused a change in the neighbor as you can see. You should add how gentrification will change neighbor and cause less violences. It would be great of you think on how gentrification can change violence in Oakland and in neighbors. 

Sincerely, Daniel Gonzalez