Violence in Oakland

When you hear the word Violence what do you think of? Do you think of past experiences? Or do you think of movies, TV shows, and/or video games? Violence occurs all over the world and can happen at any time. I will talk about violence violence in Oakland.

Through my research and interviews, it is clear that Oakland is affected by violence and the most common types of violence that need to be talked about to be stopped are domestic violence and gang violence and the best way to stop both is providing counseling for those involved.

Domestic Violence is probably the worst kind of violence because, this occurs around families and effects children in the worst ways. Domestic Violence can shape how a child will act and behave when he/she grows up, resulting in having depression, guilt, shame and sleep disturbances (Domestic Violence Roundtable). This information is very trustworthy because in my own personal experience I have saw and felt some of these results. According to Life Academy Senior Kevin Montalvo, “Domestic Violence affects children in the bad ways because they can get certain mental illnesses like depression” (Montalvo).  

Gang Violence in Oakland is very high, we’ve been ranked in the third place of 10 of being the most dangerous cities in the U.S. on Forbes. Oakland is known for being a city that is filled with crime, well they aren’t wrong because it is a very dangerous place to live, personally I’ve known friends and family members who have been affected by any gang violence/activity. According to the Oakland Police Department, they made a Crime Analysis, and it shows that there has been around 75-77 homicides in 2017 to the end of the year. Also, there has been a total of 12,486 cases of robbery in 2017 to the end of the year (OPD). This information is very trustworthy because this is coming from Oakland’s police force, and it is their to to report cases and solve them. Montalvo also has an opinion on gang violence he explains, “Gang Violence nowadays affects teenagers because they want to be involved in organizations that they think are ‘cool’ ” (Montalvo). This is evident that teenagers in this modern era are more likely to join anything that will get them in the mix but will harm their future.

Counseling can help victims of gang violence because they can help them through traumatic experiences involving any homicides and shootings. This can help victims recover from these experiences. As for domestic violence, family counseling and counseling for the children who have experienced domestic violence can help kids get through what they’re feeling. Also, family therapy can help a family function like a family normally would.   

I Interviewed Mr. Waters that works for FACES. He agreed that counseling does help victims of domestic and gang violence. He also stated that, “ To help reduce gang violence, is to offer more jobs and education to help reduce crime. Also, for domestic violence, I think that there should be places for people to live and eventually escape the domestic violence they face” (Waters). He sounded very confident about what he said, and he believes that this will reduce domestic and gang violence if they get the resources that they need.

In conclusion, I think that counseling is effective in preventing crime, and helping domestic violence victims recover from their experiences, and having more jobs can help reduce crime/gang violence, while at the same time helping people financially.    

Montalvo, Kevin. “Violence in Oakland .” 18 Jan. 2018.

Montalvo gave his opinion on domestic violence and gang violence/crime. I interviewed him because he goes to school in a area that is in gang territory, and having his point of view is very important to my work involving domestic and gang violence.

Waters, Eric. “Violence in Oakland.” 18 Jan. 2018.

Waters gave his opinion on how we can reduce gang violence and he gave an idea that we should offer jobs and education to help reduce crime. He believes this is a good idea because he can eventually get to them if they chose to go to a medical school he works at called FACES.

“The Effects of Domestic Violence on Children.” Effects of Domestic Violence on Children, www.domesticviolenceroundtable.org/effect-on-children.html.

This website gives lots helpful information on domestic violence, and how domestic violence affects children who experience and/or witness domestic violence.

“City of Oakland California.” Crime Statistics | City of Oakland | California, www2.oaklandnet.com/government/o/OPD/s/Statistics/index.htm.

This website has other links attached to it that shows statistics that were really helpful when writing this paper

(follow me on Instagram @yonevz for some edgy posts, help a dude out with the follows b)

CC BY-SA 4.0 Types of Violence in Oakland by Nevin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Alex 7 months ago

Dear Nevin
    I’m very impressed with your level of work. Your blog called Types of Violence in Oakland is a very good blog it really shows some true emotion. It really shows the type of person you are and how you care about Oakland. It shows that you are trying to make oakland a better place for everyone. One sentence that you wrote that really stands out to me is “Domestic Violence can shape how a child will act and sleep behave when he/she grows up, resulting in having depression, guilt, shame and disturbances (Domestic Violence Roundtable)”. I think that is a really strong part of your blog and it shows real emotions and how domestic violence can change someone’s life. Thank you for writing and I hope to read some more of your amazing posts.

Nevin 6 months ago

Thanks b

2. Miguel 8 months ago

Dear Nevin,
    I am moved by your post about the types of violence in Oakland because this is something that happens all too much and too often in many low-income communities throughout Oakland. One sentence that you wrote stood out to me was, ” Domestic Violence can shape how a child will act and behave when he/she grows up, resulting in having depression, guilt, shame and sleep disturbances. I think that this is very much accurate because I have seen instances in past studies where children who have been exposed to domestic violence end up having some sort of depression that impacts their lives in a negative way. I appreciate you bringing domestic violence to the light because this problem is affecting the lives of millions of kids throughout the world. Thanks for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I like your way of expressing your opinions on the types of violence in Oakland.

Nevin 6 months ago

I appreciate the comment about my work, I hope to get more feedback from you when I post.

3. Kevin 8 months ago

This blog is good because It proves why young teens join gangs to fit in.

Nevin 7 months ago

thanks b