The Effects of Police Brutality in Oakland

Black innocent people are getting killed every day by the Police in Oakland, California. What are we going to do to stand up to this oppression? This been happening for almost 50 years, as explained by the Guardian that, “In 1968 OPD officers shot and killed Bobby Hutton. The 17-year-old Black Panther party member was involved in a shootout with police, but surrendered and stripped down to his underwear to show he was unarmed. However, he died after being shot by police at least 12 times” (The Guardian). Shot 12 times… This problem isn’t a new issue that just began to happen.  Why do People of Color get targeted more than White people? Do humans really believe that People of Color are dangerous? How many more People of Color need to be murdered by the police for the community, government, and the president to do something about it? Let’s face it, police brutality has been going on for years, but now we can stand up and do something about it.

People of Color are getting stereotyped as dangerous people and this causes them to be more targeted by the police than white people. This is true because there are many People of Color that get killed, forced down, or/ end up in jail for something they didn’t do because of the stereotypes that society made on People of Color and it is important that people in Oakland keep standing up to this.

People of Color get targeted more by police because they are stereotyped as criminals and as a threat to others. This is true because there are more Black people than White people in Oakland who are being discriminated by their skin color. To begin, In an article “Law Enforcement Killed 90 Oakland Residents Since 2000, And 74 Percent Were Black” by Alex Barreira and Arielle Swedback, it explains “The most alarming discovery: 74 percent of Oakland residents killed by law enforcement between 2000 and 2016 were Black men and women” (Barreira and Swedback). This is showing how People of Color are getting targeted more than people who are White. This is important because the more that police keep killing those who are of color, the less safe they feel. 74% of black man and women are getting killed by some law enforcement, this can cause a big problem to our community because People of Color will start to be scared of the police thinking that they are going to get killed. This source is credible because it was published August 16 2016, which was two years ago and the information was to educate people about the problems that police has on Oakland community. Moreover, In one of my interviewees with Rafa Morales he discusses a similar feeling. Morales was born in Mexico but spent most of his life in Oakland. He is a trustworthy source because he has seen many Black people being judged because of their skin color, Morales mentioned, “I think police brutality has impacted the community in very different ways… for example, cops mostly stop someone who is black then someone who is white. They get targeted more because they are discriminated and there is a lot of stereotypes and ignorance that black people are bad” (Morales). This matters because police brutality is really affecting Oakland in a awful way. Police will more likely stop someone who is of color because they look “suspicious”. An important phrase is “there is a lot of stereotypes and ignorance that black people are bad”. The interviewee said this because that is what many people think when it come to black people. In the same way in the book, “Our America” by LeAlan Jones and Lloyd Newman, LeAlan expressed, “Rodney King—when I see this, I get mad. Because this is nothing to me— just beating the hell out of another nigger. I’ve seen police beat people in the street—beat ‘em with fist and with bats”(59). This is important because all around the world there is People of Color being treated awful by the police and there is no charge to the police that kill or/ and hit other innocent people. Rodney king was a 25 year old innocent Black man that was brutally beaten by 4 white Los Angeles police. The police kicked and hit king 56 times leaving searious damaged. Even though this didn’t happen in Oakland it is happening all over California and that is a problem. People of Color have the same rights as White people but it seems that police sometimes think that they should be treated differently because they are “dangerous people”. This book is a trustworthy source because it was the read interviews in the book that explained the lives of those People of Color that lived in the Ida B. Wells. The book purpose is to show the violence that many young kids have to see and not to judge Black people.

Secondly, Police officers sometimes are too quickly to react when they see a Person of Color because they think People of Color are awful people since that is what society stereotyped them as, and this can cause police officers to be scared of what might happen and they will shoot. To start, In a source called “Police Brutality in the Bay Area” by Elia G states,“At Fruitvale Station in Oakland, a white BART police officer brutally murdered a twenty-two-year-old black man. According to witness testimonies, Oscar was on his way home with his girlfriend when the officers asked him to get off BART. They asked him to get on the floor with his hands on his head, and Oscar did as told. When Oscar tried to answer a phone call, a white police officer held him down, took out his revolver, and shot him”(G). The police are making their lives more strenuous to People of Color. The article focused on a African- American man that was killed by a white police, this is biased to People of Color because they are being brought down by police when they did nothing wrong like Oscar. In Oakland there is innocent people getting killed every day for a crime that they might not have commited. There is several Black man that get killed by police because they look “suspicious”. The quotes is explaining how Oscar was an innocent men that was minding his own business. This is a credible source because I started to do more reasher about the topic and the 22 year old man that got shot and also found out others articles that also talk about the same topic that this article did. The article was also published on 2015 which was pretty recent. Similarly to what one of my interviewee reported, “Because there is people that don’t think about what they are doing and the police feels threatened so they shoot” (Bernal). Bernal is a credible source because she has the authority to share her opinion about police brutality since she lived in Oakland for 16 years. Bernal share her opinion about what is happening now and in the last few years. This quote is important because with all the stereotypes there is about People of Color police are scared that they end up shooting those people who are innocent and did nothing wrong. But police should not be too fast to react because most People of Color who end up being shot are trying to show the police that they have no guns and that they won’t attack. Sometimes the police can see that they are unarmed but end up shooting them and once the world gets the news the police officers said it was a mistake, even though it wasn’t really a mistake and they did shoot them because they believe all the dominant narratives that others say about People of Color.

Moreover, people should stand up to the oppression that police are bring on to People of Color. People can do this by not stereotyping others thinking that they are bad just because of their skin color. People can also support movements like Black Lives Matter to raise awareness about police brutality. Firstly, In an articled, “What Black Lives Matters Still Matters” by Peniele. Joseph, Joseph states, “Without the consciousness-raising of the Black Power movement…there would be no free breakfasts in public schools (an outgrowth of hot-meal programs launched by the Black Panthers)”( Joseph). This is a trustworthy source because it was published in 2017 and it is pretty reason. Peniel E. Joseph is the founder of the “Black Power Studies” so he has the right to about the problems that racial proffering brings on People of Color. This matters because without standing up to the racism there wouldn’t be any of the good things that we have now. Free breakfast in school was brought by the Black Panthers and without them there would be People of Color paying for their food. Standing up to the oppression that police brings on People of Color there could be less people getting scared that they will get killed or badly hurt when they come close to a police officer. There are dominant narratives about People of Color that aren’t true, such as they are all criminals, that they steal things, and kill other people. The dominant narratives are mostly said by those who are in power and they don’t know the real life of People of Color such as White people. But the counter narratives about People of Color is that they have a hard life because they get discriminated and face so much problems with the police. The counter narratives are about people who have experienced the oppression and they are mostly silence by those who are in power. It is very unfair that People of Color are getting discriminated because of their skin color. There are stories in the internet that talk about a White person who killed or hurt another person and they don’t get serious charges and some don’t even get jail time. But on the other hand if a Black person hurts or kills another person it is all over the news and they get jail time for mostly their whole life and get serious charges. It is important for people to stand up to this oppression to make the world a better place and a make the community fair for everyone no matter what skin color they have. Some people believe that police brutality has stopped because we don’t hear from it as much. I agree it has lower a little but it’s not over, People of Color all around Oakland are being discriminated by others because of their skin color. Just because we don’t hear from the oppression that People of Color face, doesn’t mean that it stopped completely. Based on the evidence that is being shown innocent black man are getting killed or/ and put in jail for a crime that they didn’t commit.

In conclusion,  People of Color are getting targeted more by the police than white people. This is true because there are many articles that talks about People of Color getting killed, forced down, or/ end up in jail for something they didn’t do because of the stereotypes that society made on People of Color and it is important for people in Oakland to keep standing up to this discrimination and make the community a better/ safe place.

Annotated Bibliography

Bernal, Aydet. “Police Brutality in Oakland.” 22 Dec. 17.

I interviewed Aydet Bernal about police brutality in Oakland. We discussed about how police brutality affects the community in Oakland and what can we do to stop innocent people getting hurt. Aydet is a credible person because she had lived in Oakland 16 years. Aydet is a person of color that gets discriminated because of her skin color.

Jones, Newman, and Isay, LeAlan, Lloyd, and David. Our America!Ideals Pub. Corp., 1991.

The book “Our America” is about 2 boys in Chicago that live in Ida B. Wells (ghetto) that share the story about their lives and how hard it is to live there. The book focus on teaching people to not stereotype people of color because we don’t know what they have to go through. This book is a trustworthy source because it was the read interviews in the book that explained the lives of those People of Color that lived in the Ida B. Wells. The book purpose is to show the violence that many young kids have to see and not to judge Black people.

Joseph, Peniel E. “Why Black Lives Matter Still Matters.” New Republic, 6 Apr. 2017, newrepublic.com/article/141700/black-lives-matter-still-matters-new-form-civil-rights-activism.

This article was about how Black Lives Matters movement cause some positive outcomes . The article focused on how standing up to racial profiling and police brutality can cause People of Color lives to change for the better. This is a trustworthy source because it was published in 2017 and it is pretty reason. Peniel E. Joseph is the founder of the “Black Power Studies” so he has the right to about the problems that racial proffering brings on People of Color.

Morales, Rafa. “Police Brutality in Oakland.” 5 Jan. 2018.

In this interview we talked about police brutality. We focused mostly on how officers stop people of color more than people who are white. Rafa Morales is a trustworthy source because he has learned about police brutality in his school years. I have known him for a while now and he focused on educating people about problems that he has experience that include the police.

Elia G. “Police Brutality in the Bay Area.” 826 Valencia, 826valencia.org/police-brutality/.

The article was about the oppression and fear that police brings on the community. The article focused on a 22- year- old African American that was getting on the Fruitvale BART and got killed by the police because the police officer thought that he had a gun. The article also talks about people in California who got discriminated by the police. This is a credible source because I started to do more reasher about the topic and the 22 year old man that got shot and also found out others articles that also talk about the same topic that this article did. The article was also published on 2015 which was pretty recent.

Swedback, Alex Barreira and Arielle. “Law Enforcement Killed 90 Oakland Residents Since 2000, And 74 Percent Were Black.” East Bay Express, East Bay Express, 16 Aug. 2016, www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/law-enforcement-killed-90-oakland-residents-since-2000-and-74-percent-were-black/Content?oid=4940357.

This article examines the number of people of color that were killed because of a police. The article focus on how many women and men of color were affected in an unacceptable way by the police in Oakland. This source is credible because it was published August 16 2016, which was two years ago and the information was to educate people about the problems that police has on Oakland community.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Effects of Police Brutality in Oakland by Naycet is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Guadalupe 7 months ago

Dear Naycet:
    I am impressed by your writing because it is true that there are people getting killed everyday. This is really sad that the police who is supposed to protect us, they are killing our people. A sentence that stood out to me was the first quote that you use because this is a really sad quote but it is the reality. Your entire post stood out to me because it sounds like people are not recognizing the police brutality that is happening here in Oakland. I acknowledge that you did your blog on this topic. Your post reminds me of one’s that I saw this happening here in Oakland. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next.
    Guadalupe

Naycet 6 months ago

Thank you for reading and commenting in my story about police brutality in Oakland. What story do you have? What does my story remind you of, can you share your story with me?