The community of Oakland 

How has the community and Oakland changed in general? Where is Oakland? Oakland is on the East side of the San Francisco Bay.The community has made a lot of changes before in recent and some are improving Oakland and some are not. Based on research and interviews it is clear that Oakland has decreased its amount of violence, but gentrification has occurred has brought new people into the community and increase housing prices.

The community and Oakland has changed because there is less violence and delinquency around the community than there was before. Firstly in the article “Violent crime in Oakland down 23 percent since 2012”, by Harry Harris it discusses changes in Oakland crime. It states, that the rates of crimes and robbie’s etc they are decreasing from the year 2012 to 2017. This is a good thing because people in Oakland would feel more safe in their community. Harris stated, “between 2012 and 2017, the city’s violent crime rate, which includes homicides, robberies, rapes and assault, has dropped 23 percent” (Harris). The rates of this crimes it’s decreasing and it’s better for people to feel more safe around their community. Why would the rates would go down? Well that’s because they want a better change in the community and see differences. It’s is showing that it’s making changes in Oakland with the help of the people around them. Additionally, in the article, “Oakland’s unspoken good news:Homicide rate is way down” by Chip Johnson. Johnson explains, “People are helping our investigations more and more,” Whent said. “We get video from residents and business owners, and there’s more interest in lowering crime and a heavier police presence — all these things together are making a difference” (Johnson).  In this quote it’s saying that the more people move in into Oakland, crime is lowering down and there would be less danger. It also explains because of gentrification the people that move in they are making Oakland a little bit more better.

Additionally, The community and Oakland have changed because there are new people living around the community. Because of gentrification people are moving into new houses. To begin, my interviewee is talking about how her community has changed over the years she has been living at her house.My interviewee Brenda Loiza states, “People haved moved to my community and I believe it’s because of gentrification” (Loiza). This is saying that people are moving because gentrification is being a problem. It’s also trying to say that people move in because they want to see changes but also have seen changes over the course of the years. Gentrification has affected people because they want a better life for themselves and for their family. But in order to that people and such as Brenda they might feel like they can’t move because gentrification has made it more difficult.Moreover, my interviewee talks more about the community changing the years she has been living there.  Moreover, in the blog “Living in Oakland” clarifies, “ In a follow-up, we again told people what they already knew – living anywhere in the Bay Area is expensive”(Living in Oakland). This is saying that when people try to move into new houses they can’t because gentrification is being a problem. They have to still live in a place where they don’t want to live in no more. So they rather stay in the same place so they won’t have to pay more in another place where it would be more trouble for them to pay the rent and get kick out.

Moreover, Because of new people moving, housing prices have also gone up in Oakland which has created change. To begin, my interviewee Rosa Cornejo talks about how she has seen changes on gentrification because she has been living here for 20 years and has observed the changes of Oakland. Cornejo states, “housing for me has been a problem because like moving to another place can be more expensive and I don’t have that kind of money to rent in another place” (Cornejo). Its explaining that she would have trouble if she moves to another place because she wont have that kind of money to move and make a change. This also trying to say that she is not the only one that is having that kind of problem, meaning that gentrification has changed housing prices because they are going higher.

Some people may argue that Oakland has changed very much in the last couple of years. To begin, in the article “The beauty of changes, in Oakland and beyond” by Pendarvis Harshaw it discusses of the artwork in Oakland and the murals that they have changed too. Harshaw explains, “art I call a column, for again, we evolve better when we work together” (Harshaw). He explains a little about how the community if they work together they can become a community.This is explaining to us that with the changes people would bring the community into a better future.But, this is not true because Oakland hasn’t made any changes throughout the years that had passed. In NBC Bay Area “Economy tied to gun violence in Oakland” talks about because of violence the community is losing more jobs and kids not going to school, Stephen Stocks clarifies “violence continues to be a serious issue, such as parts of East and West Oakland” (Stocks). In this quote it’s trying to explain that there’s no change wherever part of Oakland.

Based on research and interviews it is clear that Oakland has decreased its amount of violence, but gentrification has occurred has brought new people into the community and increase housing prices.The changes have occured in Oakland throughout the course of the years because of all this problems that are going on.

Annotated Bibliography

Cornejo, Rosa. “Change in Oakland.” 6 Jan. 2018.

I interviewed this person because Rosa Cornejo has been here in Oakland for about 20 years. We spoke about how has Oakland changed so much over the years she has lived here. We also talked about the neighborhoods in Oakland how had they made a change. She talked that in her neighborhood there is new people living in the community and making new houses for people to live in.

Harris, Harry. “Violent crime in Oakland down 23 percent since 2012.” PICO National Network, East Bay Times, 9 Jan. 2018, www.piconetwork.org/news-media/coverage/2017-media-coverage/violent-crime-in-oakland-down-23-percent-since-2012.

Johnson, Chip. “Oakland’s unspoken good news: Homicide rate is way down.”San Francisco Chronicle, San Francisco Chronicle, 18 Mar. 2016, www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/johnson/article/Oakland-s-unspoken-good-news-homicide-rate-6913876.php.

“Living in Oakland.” Priceonomics, Priceonomics, priceonomics.com/living-in-oakland/.

Loiza, Brenda. “Community change in Oakland.” 3 Jan. 2018.

I spoke to Brenda Loiza because she has been living here for a while.We talked about how the community has changed for her as the years has. People haved moved to my community and I believe it’s because of gentrification. She had said that gentrification has been a problem because she cant move houses because the rent has went up higher.

Stephen Stock, Michael Bott, Jeremy Carroll. “Economic Disparity Tied to Gun Violence in Oakland.” NBC Bay Area, NBC Bay Area, 5 Aug. 2016, www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Economic-Disparity-Tied-to-Gun-Violence-in-Oakland-381830371.html.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The community of Oakland by Erika is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Paola 7 months ago

Dear Erika

I am so surprised about you post “My views of Oakland” because it shows how you really know your community on oakland I like that you are writing about Oakland crime rates, and how gentrification may be a key factor in causing the community to decrease. Something i like about what you wrote on your post is when you said “ The community and Oakland have changed because there are new people living around the community. Because of gentrification people are moving into new houses”. I agree with you because i’ve seen it myself and we live close and I know what youre talking about and I like how you talking about oakland and the community.Another thing that amazed me about you post was when you said “violence the community is losing more jobs and kids not going to school”. This stood out to me because of violence the community kids aren’t getting their education and because maybe there scared.

Sincerely, Paola H

2. Cristina 8 months ago

Dear Erika,
    I like that you are writing about Oakland crime rates, and how gentrification may be a key factor in causing them to decrease. I am more interested in how these barriers may personally affect you. For example, have you seen any actions of gentrification?

3. Aaron 8 months ago

Dear Erika,
    I am amazed by your writing because it shows that you have grown as a writer. One sentence in the writing that stood out for me is “Violent crime in Oakland down 23 percent since 2012”. That stood out to me because 23% is a lot of crime that went away. Its showing that our community is actually making a change to help the people of Oakland feel safer. Another sentence that stood out to me is “violence the community is losing more jobs and kids not going to school”. That stood out to me because its telling people who read this that violence is making the community worse because kids aren’t getting their education and people are losing jobs and not making money to support them or their family. Thanks for writing this, I look forward to seeing what you write next.

Erika 7 months ago

Thank You Aaron for responding . And saying things that stood out to you and for being supportive on my blog.

4. Liz 8 months ago

Dear Erika, I am amazed by your work it really shows how you’ve grown as a writer. I like the point that you brought up about the violence rates going down. I think you did good in choosing this topic because people need to know that this community is getting safer. Something that stood out to me was the line “The rates of this crimes it’s decreasing and it’s better for people to feel more safe around their community. Why would the rates would go down?” This line is very interesting to me because I can tell you want the community to be safer and the question you asked made your writing stronger by moving into giving the reader answers. I really enjoyed reading your work I hope you keep publishing. Sincerely, Liz

Erika 7 months ago

Thank You liz for responding. I appreciate that there was things that stood out to you and for being supportive to my blog.
      Erika