Growing up in Oakland was not really easy because of all the violence in Oakland  while                            growing up in Oakland I have noticed schools need more education We need to make sure kids don’t drop out of school We need more education and police to stop gang violence in Oakland.

Being raised in Oakland, I have learned that a gang is a group of people that ?have the power to do whatever they want, like commit crimes. Gangs have been a major reason why there is so much violence in Oakland, and even though the community has tried  their best to stop them, it has not worked out as planned.  Based on my experience as an Oakland resident, I have concluded that people who are part of a gang only think about what they want and what will benefit them and do not think about what others want I know this because I had some family in gangs . For these reasons, gangs have turned Oakland into a violent community where it is not safe to walk alone in certain streets of the city. In Oakland it is easy to be part of a gang because there are so many in Oakland and they are so territorial. In an interview with Ms. Pelayo a resource teacher at Life Academy High school, she talked about how it is so easy for youth to join gangs in Oakland. Ms. Pelayo said “It is easy for youth in Oakland to join gangs because there are so many, and specifically for Latino and African American parents who are always working hard to support their family and aren’t home when their children come back from school. This absence makes youth an easy target because their parents aren’t there to tend to their children and to advise about gangs or to stop them from joining one.” (Pelayo) As a human that was born and raised in Oakland, Ms. Pelayo knows how gang violence has affected the community in Oakland.

Education needs to be stronger to solve Gang violence. If students learn more important things in school to be successful in life they will not want to be in a gang. Also, teachers need to help the students gain more knowledge to succeed. If the the students do not gain the knowledge they will not do very well in their futures.

I have learned that violence is a serious thing in Oakland I also have learned to stay in school is more important then dropping out because you need your education to move forward and get your education.

CC BY-SA 4.0 STOP THE VIOLENCE by Thomas is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ahmed 6 months ago

Dear Thomas, Thank you for sharing your work. My name is Ahmed and I am a student at Fremont High School. Something that I like about your work is that you really care about Oakland more than others. Something I have a question about is why stop the violence in Oakland then other places that have more violence then Oakland. Please feel free to comment on my work in the future. The address to my student blog is http://ahmedmfhs2022.edublogs.org/ .
    Thank you,
    Ahmed

Thomas 5 months ago

Thank you for your comment. I would check your out. This is Thomas

Thomas 5 months ago

Dear, Ahmed

2. Shania 6 months ago

Dear Thomas,
    I really like what you talked about because violence is a big problem here in Oakland. We all know it’s not going to stop,change has to start within the people. I like when you stated “I have concluded that people who are part of a gang only think about what they want and what will benefit them and do not think about what others” because I agree, violence only happen because gangs and gangsters think violence is the way to solve problems. They do what they think is best but, don’t care about others that people are in the way. They think its ok to hurt others that’s in the way and not their target. Something I think you should improve on is your grammar. But, other than that everything else is good.

Sincerely, Shania Brown

Thomas 5 months ago

Dear, shania