We are Important

I am the daughter of two immigrants, my mom and my dad. Many articles illustrate how immigration affects our economy and our community. Immigrants come to the United States to live a better and healthier lives. They come here for opportunities, they are hardworking and do everything possible to help their families. In Oakland, the Fruitvale community, is a predominantly immigrant community and through interviews I learned more about the immigrant perspective. How does immigration affect our community a lot? It affects us a lot because immigrants make up a large part of the United States’s economy and have created families here who have children who have been raised in US schools and are our future.

To begin, without us, immigrants, our workforce would suffer because immigrants are hard workers in our community. When I went to Fruitvale BART station in Oakland, I interviewed a community member, Francisco Javier, on how immigration affects us. He said,  “The reason immigration affects everybody because if you don’t have immigrants here, then none of us are here. Whos going to drive the buses whos going to work, whos going to clean houses, whos going to clean the streets? (Javier). As Javier explains without us, there would be nothing. Immigrants work really hard. Some of their jobs pay them very little and they still make the most out of it. In an article called, “How America’s Immigrant Workforce is Changing” by Octavio Blanco talks about the immigrant workforce in the U.S. changes over time. Blanco says, Today, there are 11 million undocumented immigrants living in the United States. About 8 million of those immigrants are working” (Blanco).This shows that 11 million immigrants make up a large part of the U.S. economy and 8 million of them are working. Which shows that we have a lot of hard working immigrants in the United States. In the same article, Blanco also says, “As a result, Mexicans have represented the largest number of undocumented workers in the U.S. for the past 20 years” (Blanco). For a 20 years we have represented hard working people in the U.S., this supports that we have made up a large and hard working part of the United States.

Secondly, immigrants have created homes, lives, and families here and deserve the opportunities they have worked hard for. In an article called, 8 DACA Statistics That Show How Vital Dreamers Are To American Society” by Mehreen Kasana talks about ways DACA has helped undocumented youth. Kasana says, “According to the United States’ Citizenship and Immigration Services, almost 800,000 undocumented youths have been helped by the DACA program” (Kasana). DACA has helped undocumented youth a lot it has gave them the opportunity to work hard and get a good education. DACA has helped immigrants live a better life. For example, when Trump took DACA away from immigrants they protested for their rights, they fought back to win DACA back. Secondly, in an article called, “Why do immigrants come to the United States” by Elizabeth Arizaga I read about why immigrants chose to come live here in the United States. Elizabeth Arizaga says, “Immigrants built up the United States from the very beginning. This country was, and continues to be a kaleidoscope of ethnic and cultural groups…Immigrants chose to come for various reasons, such as to live in freedom, to practice their religion freely, to escape poverty or oppression, and to make better lives for themselves and their children”(Arizaga). This is explaining how immigrants come to the United States to make a better life for themselves. When they come to the US they escape everything that keeps them trapped like poverty and oppression. The US helps them start fresh and make a new life, a better one. Immigrants are hardworking which opens opportunities for them. They do these things to help out their families.

Some feel that no matter if they make a mark on the US, they should leave if they were not born here because this isn’t their home, if they weren’t born here they don’t belong here. But that is wrong because they only come here to get better job opportunities, they come here to make a better lives for themselves. The United States is made up of 11 million hard working immigrants, they made a change here in the United States.

In conclusion, immigration affects our community a lot because immigrants come here to live a healthier life,  they have created families here, we are hard working and we build a large part of the United States. That makes us immigrants important.

Annotated Bibliography

Javier, Francisco. “How Immigration affects our Community .” 2 Jan. 2018.

Javier talked about how the United States would be without us immigrants, how there would be less hard working immigrants here. And how we don’t give up. He is a credible source because immigration has affected him and he was a member of our community.

Kasana, Mehreen. “8 DACA Statistics That Show How Vital Dreamers Are To American Society.” Bustle, Bustle, 22 Dec. 2017, www.bustle.com/p/8-daca-statistics-that-show-how-vital-dreamers-are-to-american-society-80753.

This article talks about 8 ways DACA has positively affected undocumented youth and why it’s important. It is was published recently which means it is credible.

retiring, Ba Boomers are, and U.S. birth rates are falling. With fewer native born workers coming into the job market. “How America’s immigrant workforce is changing.” CNNMoney, Cable News Network, money.cnn.com/2017/05/26/news/economy/immigration-snapshot/index.html.

This article is about how immigrant workforce and how it has changed over time. This a credible source because it was published, May 26, 2017.

“Why do immigrants come to United States of America?” The Gramblinite, www.thegramblinite.com/news/view.php/394244/Why-do-immigrants-come-to-United-States-.

This article was about why immigrants come to the US, and how it affects them. They come to the United States for multiple reasons, one is live a better life. This was published in 2006 a while ago but it had some good evidence about why immigrants come to U.S.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Immigrants are Important by Natalie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jian Wen 7 months ago

Dear Natalie,

I asked many others about this topic as well, since it is a very big issue at the moment. When I asked others about their opinion about immigrants, they agreed with Trump. How is it fair that they can just cross the border while others in the world are trying so hard to get papers to “legally” be an American. Also, https://cis.org/Report/Welfare-Use-Immigrant-and-Native-Households, says that most immagrants are on welfare which means that they don’t contribute as much as to the community as you think.

2. Charlyn 7 months ago

After reading you post I agree with you that Immigrants are important here in the united states, and contribute to the USA greatly. You made good reasons that supported you claim. However, your evidence was insufficient and did not support your reasons. A reason why I think Immigrants contribute to the America with their work is because they are more likely to work extra shifts or hours that Americans would not typically work the Tracy Jan who published an article to the Washington Post states “Immigrants are 15.7 percent more likely to work these “off” hours than American-born workers… They are 25.2 percent more likely to cover weekend shifts… compared with native-born workers with similar demographic characteristics such as education level, location, and whether they are married or have children.” (1). Due to this comparison between Immigrants and American-born workers, this study conducted shows that these extra working hours are more likely to be covered by immigrants, this clearly shows how they can contribute to us with their work. Also, Tracy Jan also published in the same article statistics of immigrant health-care practitioners stating “Immigrant health-care practitioners such as physicians, pharmacist , and nurse practitioners are 20.6 percent more likely to work nights and weekends,,, immigrant health care-support workers such as nursing assistants, home health-aides and orderlies are 16.8 percent more likely to take such shifts.” (1). So, I can agree with you that they do play a part with providing with work.

Another reason why I think Immigrants contribute to America with their work is that Immigrants have founded and built businesses. An article published by Danielle Gray on the White House website states that “ immigrants are 30 percent more likely to start a business in the United States than non-immigrants, and 18 percent of all small business owners in the United States are immigrants” (2). Without these companies, our world could be drastically different. A lot of large scale companies like ebay, or even food chains like Panda Express were founded by Immigrants, which leads me to my next part of reasoning. An article written by Chris Isidore called Immigrants made American business what it is today he states “Google was co-founded in 1998 by Sergey Brin, whose family immigrated from Russia when he was about 6 years old. Pierre Omidyar, the founder of eBay was born in Paris to Iranian parents who moved to the United States when he was a child.” (3). A lot of the companies that we buy things from or see we don’t think twice about who owns them. But remember the time you bought something from eBay? Or maybe went and googled something to help your research? Without these tools and these companies our own life would be affected, Immigrants have worked to create companies and businesses that even today we use.

Lastly, Immigrants contribute to America with their work because they make up a large part of our workforce. A lot of the time we see many people working part-time jobs at restaurants or full-time jobs as accountants. But what we don’t see is what percentage of these workers is Immigrants. An article published by Chris Isidore he states that “Immigrants make up about 17% of the U.S labor force”. These workers may do all different types of labor, whether it’s small jobs or large they still are working and putting in energy towards these jobs (3). Not only that but statistics from 2014 show that Undocumented Immigrants “represented 5.2 percent of the U.S. labor force, although they compromised only 3.7 percent of the U.S. population” (4). From these statistics shown you can very clearly see that yes, Immigrants do contribute to the United States of America with their work. Whether is comes to hours, or the foundation they have built their work is what has made America what it is to be today.

3. Enrique 7 months ago

Dear Natalie ,
    I enjoyed reading your blog post on immigration. A section of your work that I want to highlight is “Daca has helped undocumented youth a lot it has given them the opportunity to work hard and get good education”. I like how you include that Daca is something beneficial for the youth , thus making your statement very persuasive. Thank you for writing , I am looking forward to reading more of your post in the future !

4. Sophie 8 months ago

Natalie,
    Your post was nicely done! I really liked that you interviewed someone and got their feelings and what they believe to be true in your post. Your statement, “This shows that 11 million immigrants make up a large part of the U.S. economy and 8 million of them are working. Which shows that we have a lot of hard working immigrants in the United States. In the same article, Blanco also says, “As a result, Mexicans have represented the largest number of undocumented workers in the U.S. for the past 20 years” (Blanco). For a 20 years we have represented hard working people in the U.S., this supports that we have made up a large and hard working part of the United States.” was really interesting to me because I had no idea that there were this many undocumented workers in the U.S., and even over the past 20 years. I think it’s also really important to understand that without immigrants, the economy would literally fail. https://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/economic-benefits-immigration-5712.html I found this article explaining the benefits of immigration in our society. Thanks for your post!

5. German 8 months ago

Dear Natalie,
    I am moved by your post “Immigrants are Important” because I know how hard it can be having families that are immigrants in the United States. This is a real problem because it seems like everyone doesn’t want us here because of how we are. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is,”I am the daughter of two immigrants, my mom and my dad” this stood out to me because I too have parents that undocumented and i know the struggle that everyone goes through. Another sentence that stood out was ,”This shows that 11 million immigrants make up a large part of the U.S. economy and 8 million of them are working.”. This stood out to me because it shows how immigrants are so important to the economy. Also because if we cut 8 million people from the economy it will drastically impact more than just the the immigrant. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you make good points and you have an amazing writing style.

Natalie 7 months ago

Thank you for reading my blog, I appreciate it, I am glad you good agree with my post. I also agree with you if we were to cut 8 million people from our economy it would impact us a lot. Do you think later on this issue will get better ?

6. Kaly 8 months ago

Dear Natalie,
    I really enjoyed reading your post about immigration. Most of what you have written really stood out to me because as an immigrant myself it has been really hard to go through life knowing the type of oppression and negativity that has been thrown to immigrants. Something that stood out to me the most though was when you stated, “Immigrants are hardworking which opens opportunities for them. They do these things to help out their families.” This stood out to me because that is very true my family and I came here to support those who are in Mexico and to make a better life for ourselves as well. I feel like that’s a concept that has been criticized for a long tie and the way you state it was really upbringing. In general I loved reading your post you put in so much detail and have made every bit positive. Thank you for sharing your post I would like to know what other opinions do you have on the way that immigrants are treated.