Advice for immigrants

In Oakland there is a large community of undocumented people who do not always know their rights and how to avoid getting into problems that could get them deported. When immigrants come to the United States, they do not know how to speak English and should be advised about how to survive without papers and not worry about deportation and getting separated from their family. In this blog the undocumented community will be advised on how to survive in Oakland without papers.

How to survive in Oakland  

Here is some general advice if you’re an immigrant in Oakland.

1. I got this one from my Interviewee ”If you have a partner in another state or country that has a border to cross to America and you are already here you can just say that you can get married in America and have a paperwork fill out and think that you guys are in a vacation and have time to get papers in America” . (Anonymous)
  2. Getting a job in america without papers can sometimes be no problem but some places “where you earn more money, checks the crime records so don’t do any crime. If you have a record,  people can inform ICE if you are undocumented and crossed  the border without papers and maybe can have ICE looking for you but that’s why you can stay calm and look for a job that is safe and with a paying job to get papers in America”. (Anonymous)
  3. Where to live is an  important thing said one of my friends in America and the spots that are infested with ICE police are located at are the police station and suburban areas in oakland Napa, Nevada , and even next to my street at Peralta. But the safest parts in Oakland 80th and all through 30th and 20th where you can live good and get yourself a nice little home and get money a good job and live good in Oakland.

How to avoid ICE police

The hottest spot of the city of Oakland that my “interviewer” “told me  is the west Oakland because of gentrification and that is the baddest thing to happen even though you are an immigrant and west Oakland is something to avoid and if you are going to see the famous Area 51 in Nevada or go to Reno you have to be careful of the areas of the desert and going to the borderline of Nevada or Arizona, new Mexico because those are the most baddest spots to get really easy to get caught by the immigration so be careful.” (Anonymous) And my advice that my interviewee said if they encounter you is that number 1 you have stay calm because the more nervous the more suspicion they will get. Number 2 is to not open the door when they go and knock to come get you. That is because they need a warrant for your arrest and you can maybe use force if granted to if they are on your property you can engage with force ( you gotta have a sign that will let them know not to trespass on your property , and the main thing is when they get to you and say you got the right to remain silent you have to shut your mouth and don’t say nothing because your holding your ground and you have rights.

If they come to your house you gotta be real quiet and word to advice is to build yourself a good way to escape with a good load of money you saving for papers. And never ever tell your neighbors you haven’t met where you work. That is because they can tell and the ICE will get you where you work buttt you can have that good money to buy another house and live good and get a good life. And like how my mom said is that to save money and buy some good clothes to stay away from ICE.

I hope this advice for surviving in Oakland without papers and without money will be helpful in getting and living a good life without worrying about ICE getting you and sending you to your country.

CC BY-SA 4.0 How to stay away from ICE in Oakland by Jil is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jennifer 9 months ago

I really enjoyed reading your blog on ICE in Oakland. It’s a topic that should be mention more. I enjoyed reading when you wrote “In Oakland there is a large community of undocumented people who do not always know their rights and how to avoid getting into problems that could get them deported.” I totally agree with you and those who are undocumented should be informed on their rights and your article totally talks about our rights. Another line that I really liked was “ The hottest spot of the city of Oakland that my “interviewer” “told me is the west Oakland because of gentrification and that is the baddest thing to happen even though you are an immigrant and west Oakland is something to avoid.” I really liked how you informed which places in Oakland you should avoid ICE. I can’t wait to see what your write next!

Sincerely, Jennifer

2. Grady 9 months ago

Dear Jil,
    I am amazed by your blog because it is very helpful for immigrants and it’s a topic that no one really talks about how immigrants can be safe. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is, “ Where to live is an important thing said one of my friends in America and the spots that are infested with ICE police are located at are the police station and suburban areas in oakland Napa, Nevada , and even next to my street at Peralta. But the safest parts in Oakland 80th and all through 30th and 20th where you can live good and get yourself a nice little home and get money a good job and live good in Oakland.” I think this is important because not a lot of people know this, so if more people known about this more people can be aware. Thanks for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because more people can be aware of oppression, how to help each other and it’s very interesting.
    Best,
    Grady

3. Bella 9 months ago

I think this is a very well-written and important article. I think you presented a lot of good points, and this article will be very helpful to people.

Jil 8 months ago

thank you for the comment hope you check out more from my page 🙂