How Gentrification is changing Oakland  

It’s harder to live a life when people have to work harder for them to be able to pay the rent, water, electricity, and to buy the food for our families. It’s clear that because of gentrification people are losing their homes due to the rent getting higher and houses are getting more expensive to buy. “Gentrification is the process of renovating and improving a house or district so that it conforms to middle-class taste”(Google). People with higher pay checks are making people with lower paychecks move out and work harder, and most of the time the people that are having to move out are African Americans and Latinos.

To begin with I went out to the community and asked people how they felt about the community and gentrification and to prove that this is happening in Oakland. On January 6, 2018 I interviewed someone named Juan Lopez. We talked about the change in Oakland and what he thinks about the rent getting higher and objects are getting more expensive, we also talked about how prices for houses are getting more and more expensive. I asked him do you own a house his answer was “ No I don’t own a house, I wish I could but the prices are to high” (Lopez). This shows that people do want to buy houses but the rent is just to high and how it is not possible for much people to be able to own a house. I also asked him what changes he has seen throughout Oakland in the 10 years that he has been living in Oakland his statement was “ how people act” (Lopez). When he said “I wish” that really mattered because it shows that he would want to buy a house but because of all the higher prices he doesn’t have the chance to. This comes to show that people are seeing change in Oakland. I asked a follow up question and asked can you explain more about how people are changing his answer was “The community is dividing into groups, we are helping each other to make Oakland a better place, the Americans are with their people the African Americans are with their own people and the Latinos are with their people we are not united anymore like we used to be” (Lopez). This shows that the community is falling apart. I say this is because of gentrification the rents are getting higher so people have to move out they need to go find a new neighborhood where the rent is cheaper and it leaves the Americans in one neighborhood  instead of having Americans, Latinos, and African Americans be able to be in one place all together. People should all be considered the same because everyone is a human and everyone should be able to have the same rights that everyone else has. This shows how gentrification is changing Oakland. I also want to add something interesting that I found a in a article titled Gentrification transforming face of Oakland the article talked about how gentrification is affecting people by making the rent get higher and them having to move out of their houses and go find a new one where the rent is bit cheaper. The article stated “These stark rent increases, people being forced to move far away and commute longer – these are not signs of healthy communities.” This shows that people are being forced to move because they don’t have the amount of money that is required for them to able to stay and live in the house they want to be in.This is also shows that how people are communicating is worse, which shows that because of gentrification the community is getting worse.

Secondly, not only are people moving out they also have to work harder than usual just for them to be able to continue pay the rent. Furthermore I read a article called Gentrification transforming face of Oakland by Carolyn Jones it talked about how the the communities that were being affected the most were the African Americans and Latinos a quote that got my attention it said “It’s called gentrification, and those most adversely affected – the poor and working class, African Americans and Latinos – are suffering financially as well as physically, according to the report, “Development Without Displacement: Resisting gentrification in the Bay Area.(Jones). This shows that people are suffering to put food on the tables for their families and they have to work extra hard and that might start hurting because the body has a limit to what it can do. People might start to work more hours to make their paycheck a bit higher. Maybe 1 job at night and one in day. How will they spend time with their kids. The kids will be growing up without their dad or their mom or maybe without both. That will be making their kids suffer. This is also shows how gentrification is splitting up families and people are suffering for splitting them up and not letting them be happy.

For some people gentriation is a good thing because they will be able to live in a place where only wealthy people will be able to live in. In article called THAT DIRTY WORD: GENTRIFICATION IS ACTUALLY A GOOD THING. that I read it said “class residents like cleaner, safer streets and more commercial and retail opportunities, and they are willing to pay more to enjoy better neighborhoods.” This shows that people are willing to pay more for them to be able to have good houses. The people who most of the time that have the money to be paying extra are White people. What happens to all the people who can’t afford to pay the high rent they have to move and they ended up going to bad a neighborhood with more violence and with a more bad environment. There should be equity, so everyone could be living an alright life without having to work extra hard to just pay rent. People should have more empathy for people who don’t have the same chances as everyone else.

In conclusion gentrification is affecting Oakland in a very negative way, people are losing their homes and they have to start moving into neighborhoods that have the rent cheaper. The community is being divided because people have to start moving out.

People with higher pay checks are living in a place and people with lower pay checks have to go find a new house and the neighborhood maybe won’t be the same as the one they used to live in. They might be more violent than the neighborhood they used to live in.

Conn, Steve. “THAT DIRTY WORD: GENTRIFICATION IS ACTUALLY A GOOD THING.” Design Advocacy Group,

www.designadvocacy.org/dagspace/dirty-word-gentrification-actually-good-thing. It talked about how for some people making the rent is a good thing because their house’s location will be more cleaned and will be more safe and only people of their wealth will be able to live there and it will better for them.

Jones, Carolyn. “Gentrification transforming face of Oakland.” SFGate, 8 Apr. 2014, www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Gentrification-transforming-face-of-Oakland-5387273.php.

According to this article it talks about how African Americans and Latinos are being affect finally and physically, it talks about how the rents are getting to high for some people to pay it

Lopez , Juan. “Gentrification Interview .” 6 Jan. 2018. I interview Juan lopez on January 9, 2018.

http://www.designadvocacy.org/dagspace/dirty-word-gentrification-actually-good-thing

We talked about the gentrification that is going on in Oakland and how Oakland has been changing through the years. They are crdiable because they have been in living in Oakland for over 10 years.

CC BY-SA 4.0 How gentrification is changing Oakland by Alex is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Oscar 8 months ago

Pretty cool, how you took time out of your day to interview Juan Lopez!

2. Joana 9 months ago

Dear, Alex

I am showing interest on your blog because it really caught my attention how you you believe that gentrification causes people to move out and not be able to afford a place to live. A sentence you wrote that stood out to me was “ People might start to work more hours to make their paycheck a bit higher. Maybe 1 job at night and one in day. How will they spend time with their kids. The kids will be growing up without their dad or their mom or maybe without both. That will be making their kids suffer “. This sentence stood out to me because this is a really good point that your making. This actually happens now because there a lot of parents that need to work really hard to be able to take care of their personal needs. I also agree with you because when parents usually work a long amount of time their children tend to spend less and less time with their parents which doesn’t benefit the parents or the children. Thanks for your writing and sharing your opinion about gentrification.

Sincerely, Joana

3. Linda 9 months ago

Dear Alex,
    I am delighted about your annotated bibliography about “How gentrification is changing Oakland” because you talked a lot about gentrification and how is it affecting the community in Oakland. I also like the fact that you had multiple quotes that connect to each other. One sentence you wrote that stand out for me is “When he said “I wish” that really mattered because it shows that he would want to buy a house but because of all the higher prices he doesn’t have the chance to.” I think this is a situation were other people can relate to especially the ones who are living in apartment which can be very expensive too. Another sentence that stand out to me was “The community is dividing into groups, we are helping each other to make Oakland a better place, the Americans are with their people the African Americans are with their own people and the Latinos are with their people we are not united anymore like we used to be”. This is true because when people are dividing and going through different places the community breaks apart and no longer will be able to see eachother anymore. Thanks for your writing. I look forwards to seeing what you write next because you had a really good explanation. Also lots of quotes that follow up to each other.