Gentrification In Oakland

You might be asking yourself what is gentrification or what does it mean. Well let me tell what is gentrification and how does it hurt Oakland . One of the reasons why gentrification hurts Oakland is by prices are going up. Additionally, less People of Color have less privilege than others. Finally, more homeless people are out in the streets. The reason why people don’t bring up the word gentrification is because they think they might get judged or think people might tell them they are stupid and don’t mention it. But in reality, the word gentrification is really important because some people experience it. Especially People of Color or immigrants. They experience gentrification a lot because they don’t have the same privilege as others. In the article, “Gentrification Report: Black and Latino Displacement Is Remaking the Bay Area” by Julianne Hing, explains, “ The place where prices are rising the fastest isn’t San Francisco anymore — it’s Oakland. Between July 2011 and July 2016 the median price of a home nearly doubled to $626,000, according to real estate website Trulia. And median rents went up by $1,100 during that time” (Hing). This is explaining that people think that San Francisco was the most expensive place but in this quote it proves that Oakland is the most expensive place. Is true because in the article it said that there is more than 1,000 Latino families have lost their house because housing renting has raised a lot. Housing renting should not go up because if the house renting goes up then more homeless people will live out there. Another reason why gentrification hurts Oakland is because White people get more privilege than immigrants. In my opinion I think that there is a less chance that there is more homeless white people. Or immigrants don’t have papers and White people do.

Annotated Bibliography

Hernandez, Martha. “Gentrification Interview .” 8 Jan. 2018.

I interviewed my sister and something that I learned was that Oakland has changed a lot the past years.Also she has experienced gentrification. chose to interview this person because I am close to her. And she has lived here for 8 years. This is a credible source because she has been living here in Oakland for so long.

Salazar, Ana Karen. “Gentrification Interview .” 8 Jan. 2018.

I chose to interview this person because she is trustworthy. Also because it’s a family member that would never lie. Also because I am really close to her. Something I learned was she has also experienced gentrification. And is a immigrant and was born in Mexico, Jalisco.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Gentrification hurts Oakland by Kimberly is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Aida 2 months ago

Hello, I really like that you picked this topic because its relevant. I also like that you knew what you were talking about in your post.

2. Karyme 3 months ago

Dear, Kimberly of gentrification hurts Oakland

I am amazed by your post about gentrification hurts Oakland because it is a problem that has been going on for years. I agree that gentrification has been happening because of the increase of money. Also the level of wealthy and poor people because wealthier people privilege their power over money which shouldn’t be happening. A sentence that stood out to me was when you said “They experience gentrification a lot because they don’t have the same privilege as others” I agree because this shows that there hasn’t been fairness/equality around people. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because the topic interest me a lot and there has to be some kind of solution to solve this.