Sharai Ward

January 12, 2018

Ms.Portugal

Period 3-4

My first interviewee believes that gentrification is unfair to the lower class people in Oakland. Her name is Mikayla Dominguez. She was born and raised in Oakland. She considered herself as lower class due to money issues. She had an apartment in East Oakland with her mother and her sister. Her landlord was raising her rent exceedingly and she couldn’t afford to stay there. She had a friend who lived in her apartment who counted herself as middle class. She has witnessed Mikayla apartment being remodeled and white people with luxurious belonging moving into her old apartment complex. Mikayla feels that her landlord only raised her rent so she can leave and give it to people who was willing to pay higher rent.

Mikayla’s exact words was, “ that landlord only raised my rent because he knew i couldn’t take care of all my bills and provide for my sister and my mother, he knew what he was doing to me he knew that those upper class people would be able to pay a larger amount of money. Those upper class people are selfish for taking my house and leaving me, my mother, and my little sister homeless. Because of the people with money in society, us middle and lower class people wont have homes to go to”.

Secondly, gentrification is unfair because people are being ruled by the upper class and their landlords because they’ do not have money. Low income housing is starting to change in Oakland because of the landlords in Oakland.  People are being pushed out of Oakland because of the rent changing and creating issues for lower and middle class people. Prices all around is going up around Oakland. KQED news said, “The place where prices are rising the fastest isn’t San Francisco anymore — it’s Oakland. Between July 2011 and July 2016 the median price of a home nearly doubled to $626,000, according to real estate website Trulia. And median rents went up by $1,100 during that time”(NEWS).

They have also been reconstruction stores and gas stations that has had no problems with them. For example, the Seminary gas station has been under construction for years and it’s no longer making money. People stopped going there but it’s still open but it might not be open for long due to low money rate.

My dad had a boost mobile store and his store was shut down because of the lady he bought it from. The lady made him close his store for months because of some issues with the government. My dad lost his store due to low moneyrates. The lady sold his store to a rich business man who turned it into a music store and he ran it with his wife and children. My dad considered himself as middle and somewhat upper class because he did have money but he couldn’t afford to do most possessions while having to care for his home and his children.

I am against gentrification because of the favoritism being played between classes and money. What is your opinion on Gentrification?

CC BY-SA 4.0 Gentrification and Class Privilege in Oakland by Sharai is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Author
    Sharai 5 months ago

Hi Anna,
    I appreciate your opinion on my article. If I was an outsider to gentrification and class privilege, I would probably be for gentrification but it wouldn’t show justice for middle and lower class people. Do you have anymore questions about my article.

2. Anna 5 months ago

Sharai, I hadn’t really thought that much about gentrification. In Salt Lake, it’s phrased as something new and uplifting. In this article, https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865596095/Improving-Salt-Lake-City-one-neighborhood-at-a-time.html, about half way through it states, “those who remained behind in a gentrified neighborhood between 2001 and 2009 had higher incomes, and were more likely to have a bachelor’s degree and better credit scores than their counterparts in non-gentrified neighborhoods,” but they didn’t say how long those in the study had been residents. With you piece in mind, it does seem a little convenient -of course the upper class citizens are more likely to have higher credit scores, more education, and higher wages. I believe updating and bringing in new life, but not at the cost of ruining someone else’s.