Is art important to have in schools for students?

Art is important to students because it helps them with their learning and it could even help them control their feelings. Also, art can let the student communicate with others instead of actually speaking to them.

One reason art is important to students is because it may help them with their learning. It may help them see and solve problems differently. According to an article with the author Karin Evans, announced, ”Art classes actually help students with the schoolwork and homework” (Evans). Evans understands that when students have these art classes it could help them go back to class and be more relaxed. This seems accurate because I’ve noticed when some students want to give up on the work but then once they take a break they are ready to come back to the problem calmer. In another article about art in schools, Kenneth Elpus points out, “Art classes makes the students more calmer and less disruptive” (Elpus). Art allows the students to have some breaks from school work. Also, it allows students to clear their minds from too much work. I believe it’s important to have art for a better learning experience. Another article of arts education, Laura Impellizzeri clarifies, “A recent study of high schoolers revealed a correlation between arts education and math and writing test scores. These high school students were tracked for three years and were required to take a minimum one credit of art education. Students who took more than the minimum requirement were 1.5 times more likely to meet or exceed the ACT Plan national average composite score!  These students excelled in statewide tests, earning proficient levels in math, reading and writing” (Impellizzeri). When students take more art classes it actually helps them when they get test from their other classes and they get a higher grade. Which is important to have if people want a healthy life.

Another reason why it is important to have art for students is because it helps students show how they feel without using actual words. According to an article with Jessica Velasco, she states, “Blowing off steam is not the only thing art classes is good for, it’s also good for showing how the person feels” (Velasco). Some adults believe art classes are helpful to students because if they have something distracting them from schoolwork they can always do art to calm down and get it out. If they have something they really want to tell others they can always do it in art. In an interview with a teacher, Nicole Trujillo explains, “The more we do these activities are better because most kids have anger and they don’t have another way to express themselves.  Instead of just learning and learning they can take breaks and do something creative. Art helps you show how you feel”(Trujillo). These classes help students stay calm, and show their feelings to others. Which is why schools should have these classes for students, because it helps them express themselves. Art helps students help control anger, sadness, and even happiness.

One other reason schools should have art classes for students is because that is a way to communicate with others. Instead of speaking the students can use art to speak to others in their community. Students may not know what to say and that is why they got art to help them with communicating. Nicole Trujillo from an interview argues, “Some people might not understand where the other person is coming from but once they see with their eyes they might understand more. There are a bunch of ways to show art in our community like some people could be blessed with a type of message that makes them feel better” (Trujillo). Art can help people who have the same feelings as the students. Without art classes students have this opportunity to show to others some type of feelings they have. According to an article of helping students Jessica Velasco says,  “Through the study of music, visual arts, and drama and dance, students not only develop the ability to think creatively and critically, but also develop physical coordination and the ability to work both independently and with others”(Velasco). Art helps students work together. Instead of saying what they think they show it, which is why art is important to students. An Article about art by Ashley Strickland reports, ”The arts provide ways for students to communicate their thoughts, feelings and ideas about themselves and their world. Literacy skills for reading, writing, speaking, listening, viewing and representing allow them to learn about the arts and to share their new skills and knowledge with others through music, visual arts, drama and dance” (Strickland). People would want to hear what students have been learning in schools and art is a way for they can show them want it is they’ve learned without boring them with to many words. So instead of words they use art like drawing, dance, and music. This source is credible because Strickland has studied about art affecting students.

Some people may say art is pointless because since the schools have their budgets they believe they should take art classes away to save money. According to an interview with Juan Torres, he proposes, “One reason I believe schools don’t have any art classes is because of the budget they have and it doesn’t allow them to have enough supplies for anything” (Torres). But I believe art is valuable to every students who is interested in art because they can really do a lot of things later on in life.

Art classes are important to have in schools for students because it helps them with their learning, showing their feelings to other, and to communicate with others. These classes help the students stay calm, and helps them show their feelings to others without actual words used. What would schools cut next if they cut art classes because of their budget?

Annotated Bibliography

“Arts Education and Positive Youth Development: Cognitive, Behavioral, and Social Outcomes of Adolescents who Study the Arts .” Arts education and Positive Youth Development , Kenneth Elpus .

Kenneth Elpus announced that the art classes makes the students more calmer and less disruptive. Art allows the students to have some break from school work. Also it allows students to clear their minds from to much work.He is credible because he had studied about schools and how these classes are important to have.

How The Arts Can Help Students Excel, Jessica Velasco, 11 Dec. 2012.

Jessica Velasco announced that blowing off steam is not the only thing art classes is good for, it’s also good for showing how the person feels. Some adults believe these art classes are helpful to students because if they have something distracting them from schoolwork they can always go do art to calm down and get it out.

Keep cuts away from Oakland classrooms, Laura Impellizzeri, 12 Dec. 17A.

Laura Impellizzeri announced that When students take more art classes it actually helps them when they get test from their other classes and they get a higher grade. Which is important to have if people want a healthy life. Impellizzeri is credible because she’s learned a lot about students and their needs in schools.

Torres, Juan. “Art interview.” 11 Jan. 2018.

I interviewed Juan to know about the art in Oakland schools. He believes it’s important to have for all students. Juan is credible because he’s an artist. Juan believes that art classes are important to students because it makes them calmer and the classes help them show how they feel about everything. They might feel alone and the only way to show this feeling is to do something creative in other words, calling for help. But since some schools don’t have art classes for students it affects them because they don’t have this type of opportunity to call for help. When students get bored they can always have some type of art to do instead. One reason Juan believed schools don’t have any art classes is because of the budget they have and it doesn’t allow them to have enough supplies for anything.

Trujillo, Nicole. “Art interview.” 11 Jan. 2018.

I interview Nicole to find out about art in Oakland schools. She believes art is important for students. Nicole is credible because she works in the school. Nicole believes art is a part of liberation. Some people don’t know how to communicate verbally until they can show how they are feeling in their mind. She believes the more we do these activities are better because most kids have anger and they don’t have another way to express themselves.  Instead of just learning and learning they can take a break and do something creative. Art helps you show how you feel. She says, there are a bunch of ways to show art in our community like some people could be blessed with a type of message that makes them feel better. Nicole thinks there are a number of issues financially but believes those are excuses, like big schools can have more classes than small schools. They blame the school budget on everything but sometimes it’s about not having enough teachers to manage these art classes.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Art Classes in Oakland by Maria is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Alberto 6 months ago

Dear Maria,
    I am amazed by your blog, “Art Classes In Oakland”, because not only did it teach me something new but it made me realize how important art is. I really enjoyed that you used the evidence where student who took Art classes where 1.5 times more likely to meet and pass the ACT composite score. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “Some adults believe art classes are helpful to students because if they have something distracting them from schoolwork they can always do art to calm down and get it out”. I think this is an attention getter because it shows people that art can help someone center themselves so they can focus on what they need to focus on. It also shows that it can help students turn in their homework and have passing grades. Your blog reminds me of something that happened to me. One time in elementary a teacher of mine was tired of us talking and being off task so he decides to make us draw. After 30 minutes of drawing we all calmed down and he was able to teach the class. This blog reminded me of how important art can really be. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you have a great way of showing that art can actually calm someone.

2. Beto 6 months ago

Dear Maria,

3. Brandom 6 months ago

Dear Maria,

I am so glad that you brought up art because I also believe that art is a subject that needs to be taught in every high school. Like you said, art helps with learning, showing emotions without speaking, and getting a message through everybody.

One sentence that stood out to me was, ¨Art allows the students to have some breaks from school work. Also, it allows students to clear their minds from too much work¨. I agree with this statement because school gives us students a little bit too much work. But by releasing stress with art, we are helping ourselves and clearing our mind from the stress.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you have the same issues that I have. We both want things in our schools that we can have, but spreading awareness will help.

Thank you for your writing,

Brandom