Aliens don’t have healthcare, Inform yourself

Did you know that California has a Affordable Care Act and 28% of all the undocumented people have likely gone to see a doctor in a year ( Undocumented and Uninsured: Barriers to Affordable Care for Immigrant Populations). The affordable Care Act is a law that has 3 primary goals: 1. Make affordable health insurance available to more people. The law provides consumers with subsidies (premium tax credits) that lower costs for households with incomes between 100% and 400% of the federal poverty level. 2. Expand the Medicaid program to cover all adults with income below 138% of the federal poverty level. (Not all states have expanded their Medicaid programs.) And lastly 3. Support innovative medical care delivery methods designed to lower the costs of health care generally. (affordable care act )  However it is difficult for illegal immigrants to have access to healthcare because they get discriminate against and they don’t have enough funds to have access to healthcare facilities.

Healthcare is something we should all have and have access to but when people get discriminated because of their legal status and their skin color it’s not something that can be easy to obtain. In in interview done in Spanish I was speaking with Cynthia, a mother of two who came to U.S at a early age. Cynthia explained, “It’s not that I don’t want my children to have good health, it’s just that I don’t want them to have to be part of the racism that I have dealt with in those facilities. I want my children to be treated like any other person because no matter where I am from my children are American and they deserve to be treated that way” (Cynthia). This is explaining how this woman of color has been discriminated in places where we are supposed to feel “safe.” If you’ve been to a doctor’s office you might have heard these following phrases being used “ everything you say here is confidential” “ this is a safe space to talk about anything you need” . However how can an illegal woman of color feel like she is safe in a facility that constantly discriminated her because of who she is? It is not acceptable to treat any human being like this. Her past experiences in healthcare deeply affect the choices that this woman makes. She not only does not want to go through any more discrimination but she also doesn’t want it to happen to her kids as well. Healthcare as I mentioned earlier is something everyone should feel they have access to and feel like is something that empowers them enough to have choices over their body’s health.

Elaborating more on this topic, I also came in contact with a young woman named Maria. She wanted to renew her healthcare for her freshman year in college and she wanted to be able to have healthcare plan in which she wanted to feel safe in. Maria comments, “ I want to be able to go somewhere where  they listen to me. I don’t want them to ask me about my legal status or if I’ve tried getting my residency. My parents raised me to be a good person and people just automatically think I’m not because of my status here. It makes me feel like I’m not a person to them just a color with a label on it . This happens with nurses and patients there, I just don’t feel welcome” (Maria). This young lady is reporting about feeling like she isn’t listened to and feeling like she doesn’t have a place in the healthcare system because she feels attacked. She is there to receive a service not to be asked about her legal status or if she’s applied for residency. Its completely absurd to make a human with the right to have healthcare feel like they are not welcome and or accepted there. The discrimination in these healthcare facilities from not only patients but also from providers is going against the rights and dignity of these patients. They are humiliating them and asking inappropriate questions instead of doing what they have been hired to do provide service.

People like Maria and Cynthia are already having a hard time having to deal with discrimination in healthcare facilities. There are also immigrants who also lack funds to be able to pay and have access to plans that could get them in to these facilities. In an article titled “ California Withdraws Immigrant Health” which explains about the changes in healthcare for immigrants ,  Mercury News sites “ Most immigrants living in the U.S. illegally have family members who are citizens or legal residents and would be eligible for coverage from Covered California, Lara has said. The bill would be especially beneficial to those “mixed-status” families, who would be able to shop for coverage together online” (Mercury News). Mercury is  a credible source because they are more unbiased and more liberal in their facts in options, which gives the the right to write on this topic. Mercury News is trying to say that immigrants who have family members who are legal citizens are going to be able to pay these and be eligible for coverage however the immigrants who don’t have any family member who are legal residents aren’t going to have the choice of being eligible for these services. This is unfair because there are alot of  illegal immigrants who come to the U.S.A for a better future and don’t have any family here. Most of these families don’t have enough money to pay the bills of this insurance therefore it really doesn’t benefit a lot of immigrants in the U.S.A. The Affordable Care Act should be able to provide coverage for everyone no matter if they have legal family members or not everyone should be able to pay for their healthcare.

Furthermore, In another article titled “Health Care for Immigrant Families: Current Policies and Issues” they give information regarding what rights immigrants have. Leighton Ku and Mariellen Jewers state “ Overall, whether insured or uninsured, 47 percent of low-income immigrant children reported visiting a doctor’s office during 2010 compared to 69 percent of U.S.-born children” ( Jewers, Ku ). This shows that no matter what, low income immigrants families go to the doctor less than U.S citizens. It is completely outrageous to have these low income families not be treated by professional because they don’t have the money to pay for the insurance. It’s unbelievable that these people are being targeted and are being shunned away from healthcare because of a lack of funds.. Anyone has the same right as an American citizen to qualify for medical insurance. There should be insurance for everyone, no matter what their annual income is.  Some people may argue that immigrants are working here so they should be able to afford the same coverage as anyone else, however this statement can be looked as not accurate because being an illegal immigrant , means being discriminate which could end up in them having lower paying jobs thus not having money to access healthcare.

.

In conclusion I believe that in order to be able to give access and affordable healthcare to everyone no matter their income or legal status, there should be changes in the Affordable Care Act and should be more programs for low income families to joint to have access to healthcare.

Annotated Bibliography

“Affordable Care Act (ACA) – HealthCare.Gov Glossary.” HealthCare.gov,

www.healthcare.gov/glossary/affordable-care-act/  This website gives further information on the ACA.

Cynthia . “Immigration healthcare.” 4 Jan. 2018.

I interviewed Cynthia , who has first hand experience in healthcare. She has had to apply to medical in order to get the proper healthcare for her two children. Cynthia is a illegal woman who came here at a young age and is only trying to tie her children the healthcare they deserve. She is a credible source because she is a current oakland resident and she has the right to take about this topic.

“Health Care for Immigrant Families: Current Policies and Issues.” Migrationpolicy.org, 12 Aug. 2015,

www.migrationpolicy.org/research/health-care-immigrant-families-current-policies-and-issues.  

Maria. “Immigration healthcare.” 30 Dec. 2017.

Maria is a student who I met at Alameda County Social Services she wanted to renew her healthcare for her freshman year in college. She explained how her parents had just seperated and she couldn’t stay on the same plan anymore. She is a credible source because she is an Oakland resident who was applying to healthcare. She has a different experience because of her ethnic background .

Press, The Associated. “California withdraws immigrant health care request.” The Mercury News, The Mercury News, 19 Jan. 2017,  This source is trustworthy because they are more unbiased and go out and about with facts. They have the authority to speak on this topic because of their sources.

www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/18/california-withdraws-immigrant-health-care-request/

CC BY-SA 4.0 Aliens dont have healthcare, Inform Yourself by Alison is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ed 5 months ago

Allison,

really great post. Healthcare is such a major necessity for all people, and it’s something all people should have access to. Healthcare in the states is already so incredibly expensive in the states that for these people to have to overcome these additional difficulties it just makes it so hard to find a way to find a way to make it work. All people deserve their health, and in the modern age where medicine has come so far, withholding medical aid from people is just not right.

Here’s an article talking about some options for immigrants in need of healthcare:
    https://health.usnews.com/wellness/articles/2016-11-02/where-can-undocumented-immigrants-go-for-health-care

Great write up,
    Ed

2. Anthony 5 months ago

Dear Alison,
    I very much enjoyed reading your essay on healthcare, and it really opened my eyes to another one of the problems that so many immigrants today face. Healthcare is one of the most basic rights I believe everyone in this country should have. I took a look at a couple of other articles on the topic and thought that you might find this one interesting: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/28/undocumented-immigrants-health-care_n_4679348.html. Thank you for sharing your article!
    -Tony

3. Shania 6 months ago

Dear Mario,
    I loved everything you talked about because healthcare is important but, it is hard to get it if you an immigrant just like what you said. I agree with you when you stated “However it is difficult for illegal immigrants to have access to healthcare because they get discriminate against and they don’t have enough funds to have access to healthcare facilities” because it is hard. Also I liked how you talked about everyone being able to have health care. I strongly agree when you stated “Healthcare is something we should all have and have access to but when people get discriminated because of their legal status and their skin color it’s not something that can be easy to obtain” cause it shouldn’t matter where we’re from, we should all be treated the same and with respect. Something I think you should keep doing is being open and speaking the truth about what you think should happen. And I don’t think you should improve on anything because you elaborate good and had evidence to back up your responses.
    Sincerely, Shania Brown

4. Mario 6 months ago

Dear Alison,
    Thank you for having me read your work. Your blog is very interesting and is showing how many undocumented people have gone to doctors and checking they’re health. One sentence that I love the most is when you interviewed Cynthia and when she said, “It’s not that I don’t want my children to have good health, it’s just that I don’t want them to have to be part of the racism that I have dealt with in those facilities. I want my children to be treated like any other person because no matter where I am from my children are American and they deserve to be treated that way”. I really loved what she said because she shows how she loves her family. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you show really important reasons of how undocumented people have done whatever they could for their kids.
    Mario Garibay-Hernandez