My people don’t like you badge wearing knuckleheads,

that’s just where we at.

Screaming “ All lives matter “  is a protest against my protest,

what kind of” ish”“ is that?

I’m sorry you can never feel our life,

tryna have faith, but we never felt alright.

It’s very hard to elevate when this country is run by whites.

Young black men tryna find jobs but didn’t get calls back yet.

Now they gotta sell drugs to put food in their cabinet.

Yall wanna copy our slang and everything that we know.

Tryna steal Black culture and then make it’s your own.

We can’t even drive without cops tryna start ish.

Were tired of the systematic racism bull-ish.

All you care about is a badge and power and

being ugly and that’s the policeman within you.

Hatred all in your brain, it slowly starts to convince you,

Then you’ll teach it to your children, then the cycle continues.

I praise 2Pac like he was a ‘fuckin’ God

He was fighting for his life way before he “fuckin” died.

Can’t erase the scars with a bandage.

I’m hopin’ maybe we can come to an understandin’.

It’s like we livin’ in the same buildin’ but splittin’ into  two sides,

We still don’t like you,

But there’s two sides to every story and now you know mine.

CC BY-SA 4.0 A Letter to the Policeman by Nyla is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Samuel 2 months ago

Jenessa, thank you for your valuable feedback.

2. Jenessa 2 months ago

Nyla,

This is a great rap/poem. I think you should expand more on the lines “But there’s two sides to every story and now you know mine,” so that the people can understand more about black culture, and what we’ve had to face. I know that discrimination against blacks is a very common trend in the media, but I think adding more statistical evidence will really make this piece more moving. Also, maybe expand on “Tryna steal Black culture and then make it’s your own,” and list specific items that non-blacks have copied and used as their own such as black clothing, songs, words, etc. I like that you are taking an artistic stance to address the issue of police violence in our world, I think that this can be more effective than an angry article/rant. Have you looked into website/blog called TheRoot? Check it out at: theroot.com I think you would really like it, it’s ran by an African American male named Michael Harriot, and he posts about social justice issues within the black community & media trends that tend to look down on black people, and then he shines a brighter light on these issues. Here is one article that I think would interest you: https://www.theroot.com/one-of-the-worst-things-white-people-ever-did-to-black-1798712000.

Keep doin your thang!!

Jenessa