Is Marijuana a medicine?  Twenty-eight states say that marijuana is a medicine, but the Utah lawmakers insist that it shouldn’t be legal, except for cases of severe epilepsy.  Some say the use of marijuana can help treat chronic pain, while other push that the legalization will help further research on dosage, effectiveness, and driver impairment. In Into the weed: What Can Utah Expect If Medical Marijuana Is Legalized?, Jennifer Graham argues that marijuana “is simply a plant, a God-given remedy not so different from aloe or witch-hazel. Like opium derived from the poppy, it is believed to have been used to mask pain and stimulate euphoria for thousands of years.”

My grandma suffers from crippling arthritis, where the chronic pain limits her from keeping active and she has been starting to lose function.  Marijuana would be an natural, non-addictive option to help relieve her pain, Medical marijuana shows considerable promise in reducing chronic pain from a widespread number of causes, including cancer, spinal cord injury and disease, severe spasms, arthritis, post-traumatic stress disorder, nausea, glaucoma, Parkinson’s and other debilitating ailments…It is illogical and potentially heartless to deny patients with serious health problems a drug that could help mediate pain and discomfort with few, if any, side effects.”  The long list of diseases and conditions marijuana can offer help to is boundless.

Contradictory,  marijuana is listed in schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act, the most restrictive schedule.  Some worry that with the government’s approval, it will result in more usage in teens.  This could negatively affect developing brains with heavy marijuana use. There is not a ton of research about this plant based medicine to feel comfortable with regular use or legalization.  As an upcoming registered voter, what is your stance?

CC BY-SA 4.0 Legalization of Marijuana by Andrea is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. […] Legalization of Marijuana by Andrea is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. […]

2. […] Legalization of Marijuana by Andrea is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. […]

3. Oliver 1 month ago

Andrea,
    I am a strong advocate for this topic. It is a huge discussion in this country today withe very state legalizing it but the federal government trying to shut it down. I believe Marijauna is safer to use then alcohol or nicotine. The legalization of marijuana is growing, although Tobacco companies and pharmaceutical companies are fighting against it since it hurts them. I believe this link could help you better understand who is fighting against them https://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2014/12/08/pot-legalization-opponents-aim-to-protect-their-bottom-line . Hope you can find more on this topic because it is a large and very important one to be discussed and fixed.

4. Sara 1 month ago

Andrea,
    This is a very interesting topic to be bringing up in todays world because of the variety of views on it. I agree that medical marijuana should be allowed because of all the benefits. However, I can also see the point that people may take advantage of this legalization and misuse the drug. There is also the problem of people not realizing the benefits of marijuana and only focusing on the fact that it is a drug, but for medical use I believe the positives greatly out weigh the negatives. I found a website that just covers the basics of medical marijuana and why they haven’t approved of it completely, it is https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana-medicine. Thank you for writing on such a controversial topic and sharing your opinion. I hope to read more from you in the future.