As a senior in high school I have entered the realm of college applications, waiting for acceptance, and selecting the place that is the best fit for me. It’s a scary process because there are so many aspects to choosing the right college, and one of the most stressful aspects of all is the cost of tuition. The prices of tuition have increased so much, that it is said the cost of college is increasing higher than inflation. According to the article, rising cost of American College Tuition  the average cost for a year at a four-year college ranges from $9,410 for in-state public tuition to $32,410 for private tuition. Neither of those numbers include room and board. In general it can be understood that costs are far higher than they used to be.

There are many reasons for the increase in cost of tuition and some of them involve the competition for students. According to the article, why college costs are so high and rising  “schools continue to compete for students by working to attract top faculty, build and maintain the latest facilities and offer the next generation of students amenities that can be touted on campus tours for prospective applicants.” People everywhere are trying to come up with strategies as to how we should combat this issue. One article I found titled the simple strategy to stop rising tuition costs, said the easiest way is  to control “the alignment of incentives for both borrowers and schools. The best way to do this is through a tuition cap and student loan borrowing limit.” I think this is an interesting approach .

As I start receiving acceptances into my colleges, I am really going to have to look at the tuition of the schools. Tuition plays a huge part in where I, and nearly every other high school senior, will be going to school.

CC BY-SA 4.0 What needs to be done about the rising cost of college tuition? by Ceceli is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Lauren 1 month ago

Dear Ceceli,
    I am not surprised by your post. I know a lot of students are concerned and worried about financial issues when it comes to paying for college. Your post reminds me of a time more then 25 years ago when I was in college. I struggled to find funds to attend the school I wanted to go to. I was forced to work and find other ways to be able to afford my tuition. Although the working was a positive experience, I also lost out on a lot of college opportunities because I was working. I am also concerned about being able to afford college for my own children.
    I hope that this country assists families in finding ways for students to attend the college of their choice.
    -Lauren

2. Dynasty 11 months ago

Dear Ceceli,
    I am surprised about your post, “What needs to be done about the rising cost of college tuition,” because college funds is already a lot of money. I am now a junior and this makes me think real hard if I should go to college or not.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “ According to the article, rising cost of American college tuition the average cost for a year at a four-year college ranges from $9,410 for in-state public tuition to $32,410 for private tuition.” I think this is frustrating because I’m a junior and I feel that by the time I graduate the college tuition would be higher than $32,410.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I need to know more about the future and what can I do to prepare myself.

3. Anna 11 months ago

Ceceli, as a fellow senior, the price of college is weighing heavily on my mind. I went to your first site and found it interesting that Rockefeller saw student loans as a way of coping with the high cost. I found a site ttps://www.cbsnews.com/news/forget-bad-debt-college-loans-are-the-worst-debt/ about how student loans are non-deductible, gains no equity, doesn’t grantee employment, and follows one forever. I think it’s an important part of the cost since many students plan on taking out loans, some of which they cannot pay back. Thanks for writing on this issue, and can’t wait for you next post.

4. Logan 11 months ago

Ceceli,
    I wrote , my post on the same topic because it is such a pressing issue, especially to our class. Getting in to schools doesn’t even seem like that much of an accomplishment anymore, because I can’t afford most of my schools. The fact that college costs have skyrocketed while income has remained constant is terrible. It means that top-tier schools are only getting students who have enough money to attend, which is not how the system should work. I think you would like the article the New York Times wrote on the subject: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/10/upshot/america-can-fix-its-student-loan-crisis-just-ask-australia.html. It offers several possible solutions, which have been tried and tested in other countries. Thanks for your great article, keep up the good work!
    -Logan