Abortion. A very controversial topic in today’s society. Many people think that abortion should be legal and available to anyone, whereas others think quite the opposite. In 1973, the Supreme Court ruled that abortion was a “fundamental right” and that it shouldn’t be denied to anyone. In this battle, the proponents brought up many issues regarding the women’s needs and focused on how the government shouldn’t be the one to deny this. The opponents were on the opposite side. They refuted the proponents statement and thought that human life begins at fertilization and that it was unconstitutional to kill an innocent human. So since this is still a relevant and important topic in today’s society there is one common question that arises: “Should abortion be legal or illegal?”

In the US, pro-choice is very common. Many have come to the conclusion that abortion is a women’s right and it shouldn’t be limited by governmental or religious authority. They say that the women’s’ choice outweighs any right claimed for an embryo or fetus. In an article called “Why Abortion should be legal”, it talks about how even if abortion was outlawed women would find a way to get abortions illegally. As a society, we wouldn’t want that because getting an abortion illegally is a very unsafe way to get rid of a fetus and in some cases, lead to death. During Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court went over the issue on the constitutionality of laws that criminalized and/or restricted access to abortion. They made the executive decision that under the due process clause in the 14th amendment that they had the right to privacy to decide what they wanted to do.

On the other side of the argument, many people think that abortion is the killing of an innocent child and that that is morally wrong. The federal Unborn Victims of Violence Act was enacted “to protect unborn and children from assault and murder.” It states under federal law, that anyone intentionally attempting to harm or kill an unborn child should “be punished.” Another huge argument made is that life begins at conception. This means that unborn babies are human beings with the right to life. Upon fertilization, a human individual is created with a unique genetic identity that remains unchanged throughout the span of its life. This individual has the right to all human rights, especially life. Jerome Lejeune, a French geneticist, says “The human nature of the human being from conception to old age is not a metaphysical contention, it is plain experimental evidence.” These are just a few of the arguments that are presented on the other side.

So what do you think? Do you think that abortion should be legal or against the law? Do you think that women have the right to choose what they do to their body or not?

CC BY-SA 4.0 Should Abortion be Illegal? by Maggie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.