This poem was inspired by Angie Thomas, who wrote the book “The Hate You Give”. The speaker from this poem is Starr, the main character. With the help of DeVante she understood both Khalil’s and DeVante’s situation.

DeVante was the innocent one

The one who didn’t want to sell or become a gang banger, none.

Hanging his head low because he didn’t have a choice.

Because he felt forced,

He felt like the world hung him low.

No choice but to become grown.

The truth was something that he did tell.

He knew he would never sell.

Step one leave

Step two protect

Step three change

That was something he arranged.

DeVante wanted freedom,

Something that preceded him.

He wanted to forget his past.

Guess what, he passed!

Down to the very last feather.

He went flying passed his ghetto life at last.

He couldn’t change that neighborhood,

It was something that he could never do.

To change the community,

they have to change as a unity.

CC BY-SA 4.0 And Life Goes On by Brianna is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Sara 18 hours ago

Brianna,
    This was a lovely poem. I have never read the book “The Hate you Give”, but from what you wrote I am now quite interested. I also think that the message you are trying to get across is a strong one that people don’t always understand. Your last two lines were so strong and true to todays world. If people want to inspire change, they have to work together, but it just takes one person getting another person involved and that can cause a chain reaction. I really enjoyed this poem and could see this persons journey through your writing. Thank you and I hope to read more from you in the future.

2. Brazas 4 days ago

Briana, I think it’s really interesting you chose Devante. To some people he may seem like a minir character, but I think a lot of us get stuck like Devante soemtimes.