Seems like a good idea at first glance. Too many prisoners, no money to build prisons. Let private companies fill the gap. Let them build and run prisons for profit since these private businesses are entitled to make a profit. Nearly 10% of U.S. prisons are privatized; the federal government contracts with these corporations to house people who break the law. THE PROBLEM WITH PRIVATIZING PRISONS

There are lots of things to think about here. Private prisons have been accused of all sorts of abuse and corruption. Think about it, we are all incentivized in some way or another. If you make your money off of housing criminals then you are incentivized by having more people breaking the law and being placed in your prison. The owners of privatized prisons have no incentive to rehabilitate prisoners. It turns out imprisoning Americans in private prisons is a massive money maker for big businesses. PRIVATE PRISONS ARE BACK…

How do you think inmates are treated in private prisons? If you want to maximize your profit, you’re going to spend as little as possible on taking care of those prisoners. This situation, presents two ideals that are diametrically opposed; providing care for human beings and maximizing your profit. It’s no wonder that prisoners in private prisons are at risk for such abuse. And guess what? Private prisons don’t actually save anybody money. Private prisons companies are also influencing American politics by donating large amounts of money to political candidates who support their causes. How for-profit prisons have become the biggest lobby no one is talking about

CC BY-SA 4.0 There’s nothing wrong with private prisons by Angelica is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jesus 6 months ago

Dear Angelica,
    I am interested in your post, “There’s nothing wrong with private prisons,” because I’ve never heard of a private prison before, I didn’t even think such thing existed. At first, I didn’t get why would there be a need to have private prisons, but then I read your post.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Private prisons have been accused of all sorts of abuse and corruption.” I think this is very interesting because it makes me think about private schools, private schools usually have a bunch of rich kids in them, if not all. Parents pay money to have their kids feel safe and get the best education possible at those school. By what you’re saying, private schools and private prisons are nothing alike then.
    Another sentence that I acknowledged was: “If you make your money off of housing criminals then you are incentivized by having more people breaking the law and being placed in your prison..” This stood out to me because this shows that those private prison owners, are just after money and they don’t care how they get it. So basically, they’ll lowkey want crimes to happen because more crime means more criminals, more criminals mean more criminals placed in those private prisons.
    Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. At one point, when I heard Neymar was leaving Barcelona for PSG for $222m, I thought he was just doing it for the money. I was even starting to dislike him because all I thought was, he didn’t even care for Barcelona, all he cared about was the money. Just threw all those years at Barcelona, away. But then, I started to think about it, he’s still young, I thought to myself, he doesn’t want to spend the rest of his life in one place. Especially if he can travel anywhere, he wants, since he is one of the best soccer players in the world.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you informed me with something I’ve never heard about. Maybe on what you write about next, I’ll learn something new also.

2. Saoronn 6 months ago

Dear Angelica :
    I am happy with your post, “There’s Nothing Wrong With Private Prisons.” I think it is good to have prisoners in their space where nothing wrong can happen to them. It is also great to have private cells because there will be fewer riots, drugs coming in prisons, homicides, and fights. Another sentence that I was looking at was: “It turns out imprisoning Americans in private prisons is a massive money maker for big businesses.” This stood out to me because this would be easy money to make back and it helps the killing rate lower because the prisoners will be alone and won’t have to see other people that they don’t like.Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you wrote next because you have a great article about certain things and great ideas. I would hopefully want to see how your idea become even bigger than it was before.