With our changing and growing society, more and more people are standing up for what they believe in, especially women. In America’s workforce we are reminded all too often of the discrimination of gender in regards to equal job opportunity and pay.

In the article, The Simple Truth About Gender Pay Gapa survey was taken in 2016 that showed women were paid only 80 percent of what men were paid. It’s true that in certain jobs, women are paid lower. This pay gap affects women from all backgrounds, at all ages, and of all levels of educational achievement. Many people believe the pay gap has to do with the type of job you chose. However, even though earnings depend on the job chosen, there is till evidence to prove that men in those same jobs are paid more. In 2014 the U.S. Senate blocked the Paycheck Fairness Act which would make it illegal for employers to pay unequal wages to men and women who perform the same work. The goals of the act were to make wages more transparent and required employers to prove that wage discrepancies are tied to legitimate business qualifications and not gender. With stronger incentives for employers to follow the law, enhance federal enforcement efforts, and prohibit retaliation against workers asking about wage practices I believe we can work towards a better future for women in the workforce. We must ask Congress to take action for equal pay! As individuals we must continue to show our concern and care for this issue. Women must continue to advocate for themselves when it comes to salary, benefits, and promotions.

I believe it is a basic human right to allow someone the same opportunities in the working class, even if they are women. Women throughout history have worked very hard to find a place in society, and being a young women about to join the workforce, I think it’s important we keep fighting for gender equality.

Based on the changes in the pay gap from the 1970s to 2016, women won’t be paid the same until 2059. Having to work the same hours and educate in the same ways it’s unfair that women are not offered the same amounts of pay. We need to make a change. Let’s close the gap!

CC BY-SA 4.0 Should men and women be paid the same amount in the workforce? by Cheryl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Dynasty 3 months ago

Dear Cheryl,
    I am amazed at your post, “Should men and women be paid the same amount in the workforce,” because I did not know women were getting paid lower than men. I agree that women should fight for equal pay because they work as hard as the men do and work the same amount of hours. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Based on the changes in the pay gap from the 1970s to 2016, women won’t be paid the same until 2059”. I think this is sad because the pay gap wants to wait until 2059 and there’s single mothers out there that need money to provide for their kid but can barely do it because they’re not getting paid enough. Women would have to take more shifts just to make enough to be financially stable.
    Another sentence that caught my attention was: “Women throughout the history have worked very hard to find a place in society.” This stood out for me because of the government did not try to change the low pay for women and the women have to work twice as hard and will still get paid less.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you chose good topics and wrote facts. Your post teched me something new and makes me want to learn more about women getting paid low.

2. Mae 3 months ago

Hi Cheryl, I really enjoyed reading your post! I agree that we should not stop the fight until there is an equal amount of pay for both men and women. Another thing to note is how there still is discrimination in the workplace against women. Several times, even in my own SportsMed class, I’ve heard comments that I would never make it very far in the medical world because I’m a woman from my fellow male classmates. I learned from a young age that the world does not like ambitious assertive women, for they come off as too bossy or overbearing, but I will never stop the fight. Nevertheless, my experiences are little compared to discrimination in the workplace towards women of color and the LGBT community- did you know that, “27 percent of transgender people who held or applied for a job in the last year (2017) reported being fired, not hired, or denied a promotion due to their gender identity”? If you want to read more about that, click on the link for more workplace discrimination statistics: http://outandequal.org/2017-workplace-equality-fact-sheet/
    My fight for justice is not finished and neither is it for the rest of the world. Again, thank you for posting; lovely article.

3. Abby 3 months ago

Cheryl,
    I really enjoyed reading your article and it reminded me of some news I recently read about Mark Wahlberg and Michelle Williams. The two actor in November had to do a re-shoot for a movie they were doing and by the end of the nine day re-shoot Mark Wahlberg walked away with $1.5 million dollars after reshooting the same scenes while Michelle Williams walked away with only $750 dollars. Those numbers are just insane to me and I’m happy you are helping share your opinion as well as spreading awareness on this platform.