I love being outside. I love to play sports on a warm sunny day or go skiing in the winter. I love to go hiking in the mountains and camping in the forests. Or I just simply listen to what surrounds me. I just love nature and the environment. But there major issues popping up constantly in the last few decades. I can go on with many issues like global warming, overpopulation, deforestation, ocean acidification, acid rain, etc. But I want to talk about what I think is the biggest issue we face today in the world: pollution. Pollution is a broad term. It can be used with the most common air pollution, water pollution, land pollution to the less thought about light pollution, visual pollution, thermal pollution, and noise pollution. People see pollution almost everywhere you go. There is trash in parks, trees, streets, and fields, inversions, smoke from factories, etc. From the website DoSomething.org, people living in high air-polluted level areas have a 20% chance of dying from lung cancer than people living in low-air polluted level areas. Air pollution also can also have a high risk of autism in pregnant women. Seawater pollution also has major factors on the environment. From Conserve Energy Future, 14 billion pounds of garbage, mainly plastic, make their way into the ocean each year. Birds and fish are affected from this, eating all the garbage. About 100,000 animals die from garbage. Everywhere, even in America, face dirty waterways. Flint, Michigan with lead-filled water. 40% of rivers and 46% of lakes are so polluted, no one can fish, swim. No living organisms can live there. I Just touched on a few little issues with two major pollution problems. All the pollutions affect everything. We can go even deeper into what pollution of all types affects. Even down to the molecular level. Fighting pollution comes down to everyone. It will take millions, if not, billions of people to stop pollution. It starts with doing the little things to make a big difference.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Pollution: Slow Killer by Tanner is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Maria 1 month ago

Hi Tanner, I like that you are passionate about air quality and how it affects our health. My students and I will be doing some experiments around the school neighborhood to measure ground-level ozone levels and particulate matter. I will use your post as a source for background research, Thanks!

2. Mae 3 months ago

Hi Tanner, I found your post very intriguing to read. I agree that this is an ongoing issue that needs to be solved. One thing is that I wouldn’t dismiss is “global warming, overpopulation, deforestation, ocean acidification, acid rain, etc.” as something you can live with without it affecting you. Pollution is contributing to such things as global warming, ocean acidification, and acid rain. Besides that point, I liked how passionate you are about keeping the air clean. I have asthma and I can barely go up the Judge HS stairs without wheezing like crazy on our bad inversion days. Based on what you wrote, I think you I think you would like to read this article: https://ibis.health.utah.gov/indicator/complete_profile/AsthED.html. Thank you for pushing for cleaner air- today’s world needs more people with compassion like yours.