The status of women’s reproductive rights in America has been a controversial topic in recent years. State and federal governments have clashed, along with women and men’s views all across the country. Some believe that women’s reproductive rights should be a national political issue, while others want to show that these women’s rights are fundamental human rights.

Women’s rights topics that have grown in the spotlight are access to abortion, contraception, and the discrimination of pregnancy to name a few. Women all around the United States have questioned and fought for their fundamental right to their body. One of the ever present topics in politics is abortion. In the 1973 Supreme Court Roe v. Wade case the right to abortion became legal, but in recent years state and federal governments have fought back and forth on the grounds of this. In opposition of this ruling, anti-abortion members of Congress have been pushing a variety of bills to outlaw any abortions after twenty weeks of pregnancy, or make it illegal altogether. By state government, some states are doing all they can to put restrictions on abortion services. According to a 2016 reportlegislators have introduced 1,256 provisions relating to sexual and reproductive health and rights. Of these, 35% (445 provisions) sought to restrict access to abortion services. By midyear, 17 states had passed 46 new abortion restrictions. Including these new restrictions, states have adopted 334 abortion restrictions since 2010, constituting 30% of all abortion restrictions enacted by states since the U.S. Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade in 1973”.

It has been extremely hard in recent decades to keep reproductive rights out of politics, with women’s privacy over these personal decisions made public for the whole country. Our former president Barack Obama spoke about the women in this country and their own private rights saying, “Women are not an interest group. They are mothers and daughters, and sisters and wives. They are half of this country and they are perfectly capable of making their own choices about their health”. The United States needs to create more respectful and responsible guidelines for how they go about educating and permitting reproductive rights.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Body, My Choice by Ronnie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Caleigh 7 months ago

Ronnie,
    I am really glad you posted about this topic, because I think that this is a very big topic in todays world. I like how you gave insight by giving statistics with cases and reports of people affected by the issue. I also liked how you tied in Obama, because he was very supportive of the women population in our country. Especially with new administration in office, that is trying to push things more to anti-abortion laws, rather than letting the women choose for herself. I found this article that talks about both sides of the argument, and I would encourage you to read this by the Huffington Post https://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-earle-mcleod/why-both-sides-of-the-abo_b_137025.html.
    Thanks for sharing!!!

2. Sean 7 months ago

Ronnie,
    I like your post because it is really informing about this issue. I agree with what President Obama said that governments shouldn’t be butting into such personal business such as this. Your post was really well done, you introduced the topic well and followed it up with solid evidence.

3. Lucy 7 months ago

Hi Ronnie,

You utilize a lot of data in restricting abortion and contraceptive accessibility in the US in recent months which is helpful in accentuating the controlling measures that conservative interest groups have taken.
    The facts are obvious. Women’s rights are being restricted in our new presidential era, and our judgements will continue to be disrespected and unacknowledged. Strong ladies are rising up and making a difference and you can too! If you are willing to invest time and effort in the development of women’s rights I’ve listed a few organizations you can utilize and support to make a difference.

ACLU Utah
    Utah Domestic Violence Coalition
    YWCA

Lucy

4. Olivia 7 months ago

Ronnie,
    I thought your post was great! You introduced the topic well, followed it up with facts, and ended with your stand. I enjoyed reading the facts and learning more about the topic and I think it is great that you put a quote in from President Obama. You may appreciate this article in your future research: http://www.feministsforlife.org/abortion-womens-rights-and-wrongs/

5. Sophie 7 months ago

Ronnie,
    I like your post because it is really insightful and educational with the cases and reports you linked. Also, your post highlights our past president’s views, which we can contrast to our current president’s views. It shows how there is such a gap and division between parties with these types of arguments and rallies. However, I found this article that relates the My Body, My Choice movement to other things such as disabilities and the BLM movement: https://www.thenation.com/article/my-body-my-choice-why-the-principle-of-bodily-autonomy-can-unite-the-left/
    Thanks for your post!