This piece inspired by Angie Thomas, who wrote the book “The Hate U Give”  The speaker in the poem is Khalil’s Angel who was murdered by Office 1-15 in front of his best friend Starr Carter. Khalil like many other young African American males never got justice. Enjoy.

I know this…

That the streets are not safe

Trust no one no matter who they are

Life is not easy for everybody

The good die young

I know this…

The streets can change you

People will claim they’re  there for you  

Maybe smile in your face

But they don’t  really feel your pain

I know this…

I was a brave young Black American

Who never wanted to work them corners

But had to protect my peoples as the man of the house

It was my  job to protect someone who never really cared for me

I know this…

They say a boy needs his father

But they really need their mother

I didn’t have either in my life

I only had grandma

I know this…

Everybody believes I’m a thug and a dealer

I wasn’t a King Lord or a corner boy

I  was trying to be a man for once

I got killed and nobody really knew the truth

I know this…

I was a playa the ladies man

But I really only wanted the one girl who wasn’t there

I was told that the streets will get you nowhere in life

I told myself that I will never die  

I know this…

That living in the Gardens you have to survive

Things were hard for my family

I had to do something to help grandma

Momma was a drug addict

I know this…

I had no weapon

I was just another African American boy who got shot by a racist  

There was no justice for me but fake justice for Officer 1-15

CC BY-SA 4.0 I know this… by Khala is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Cheryl 6 months ago

Khala, I absolutely love your poem! Your inspiration for writing it is so important in our society today. Everyone deserves justice in our world and it’s so sad that not everyone gets that opportunity. You’re poem is very well written and emotional. I love how you felt strongly about this topic and expressed your feelings in this way. I hope you continue to write poems. Your writings are making a difference!!

2. Zachary 6 months ago

Khala,
    This is a great poem! I really like the way you wrote it and the topics that you talk about within it. It conveys a very powerful idea and it makes you think.

3. Ceceli 6 months ago

Khala,
    I really like your work. I think this is a very powerful piece. This is also a very prevalent issue in our world today and I really enjoy the way you chose to approach it. It is so heartbreaking that there are so many African Americans out there who will never get justice like the boy you wrote from the perspective of. Thank you for sharing a piece like this.

4. Brianna Camacho 6 months ago

I actually love this work. When writing it through your perspective you show that you understand but giving others an understanding as well.

5. PRich 6 months ago

Powerful work, K!

6. Samuel 6 months ago

the poem was written really well i like how he kept it third person point of view it was also detailed really good keep up the good work. Ramon Velez

7. Omar Williams 6 months ago

this is good poem because you played the role good as khalil

8. Emma 6 months ago

This poem is so powerful and if it is about you or the character in the book I really appreciate the thought and hard work you put into it. You managed to tell an entire story with just a few stanzas! Very powerful and well written,

9. Brazas 6 months ago

K. Way to go! This turned out great. Keep writing.

10. Angie Thomas 6 months ago

Incredible! Thank you for sharing your gift. I’m honored to know that my book inspired you <3.