Fear, no matter the gravity or how big or small the discussion carries, prevails within many groups of individuals concerned about the wellbeing and independence of their own country and themselves. Fear and disillusion, if not directly stated, occurs in many aspects of literature such as works like 1984, Animal Farm, The Manchurian Candidate, etc. Fear would be the most terrifying aspect of how powerful a Country becomes. The Fear that drives us into disillusion by who protects us amplifies the true fears that hide under subtitles. If fear is used as a tactic to make a society subservient then the implications of how that society lives, changes the degree in the way people see the meaning of the word safe. “Fear makes us the instruments of Power. When we are afraid, we obey. When we are afraid, we will do anything to feel safer” -Unknown.

One of the most common fear tactics or principles of fear lives in politics. Some of the most recurring themes that have been brought up in the current Trump Administration is the idea that immigrants are stealing jobs, middle eastern individuals are seen as terrorists, the Islamic and Muslim faith must be a radical and terrorist religion, and that other countries are thwarting U.S. progress. If people are not aware of the real reason people are instilling fear into society by government leadership, then for most people, conforming and blindly agreeing with whatever someone tells you about other people becomes the norm. “Well, what I think is interesting about this campaign is the degree to which it’s fear of the other, fear of the alien, fear of those who aren’t really fully American or aren’t potentially — or maybe disloyal in some fashion, so pointing to Mexican Americans, pointing to Muslim Americans” -Stephan Walt, Harvard Government Professor,

“The goal of education is the advancement of knowledge and the dissemination of truth.” –John F. Kennedy. Probably the most crucial element to hold close to yourself no matter who you are is to keep the fears out from changing who you are. Falling into desperation and panic from fear increases opposing powers to form a more subservient society. I would say that people of all backgrounds have the ability to seek out and use knowledge of all kind to grow intellectually for the advancement of the world community.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Fear within a society. by Judge Thomas is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Kev 1 month ago

Hello, Thomas. I really enjoyed your post on fear because it also reminds me our present time. I agree with Emma, I wonder if there will be a new Animal Farm written for our time. Orwell’s work is still relevant in today’s society. Thank you for your post!

2. Sophia 2 months ago

Thomas, I really enjoyed reading your post about society. I truly think that it brings up a topic that isn’t talked about very much. This was very interesting, and I believe that to a certain extent this is very accurate. There is much fear of others in a society, and this is a link that may be intriguing for you to read if you are interested: http://time.com/4158007/american-fear-history/ It may help to explain the history of why we are worried to express opinions and personalities and views to others. Thank you for sharing!

3. Ethan 3 months ago

Thomas, great sources and quotes! They related greatly to what you are trying to persuade . Your example of the the muslims and terrorists turned out to be a great supporting backbone of your statement. But I must say that I disagree with your statement that we shouldn’t let these “fears” change us, instead we should take advantage of these “fears” and pursue to become greater wether it is at an individual scale or as a mass population. Fear is a mental thing in my eyes, if we can turn to be more self confident and ignore desperation we would all be better off and have less to worry about. Overall great article, I enjoyed reading it !

4. Sean 3 months ago

I really enjoyed reading your post and I thought it brought up some very good points. I thought of the use of fear and how everyone blindly follows the government when they instill fear in a society about some subject or people. Do you foresee any changes in this kind of behaviour or do you think that this behaviour will continue until it becomes catastrophic?

5. Emma 3 months ago

I really enjoyed reading your article and think it raises many good points about our world today. I agree that people are blaming others that are of color or different religion for the fear and worry in America. When really it is much deeper and just an easy escape for their worry. I wonder if there will be a book written like Animal Farm about what is going on right now. What do you think?