Education is the most impactful thing you can give to a person. Not only does education inform people about the variety of important subjects that will help them later on in life and with a career, or gives individuals the skills to interact with others in a community, education also has a variety of widespread effects in communities, such as a decrease in poverty, an increase in health, it closes the gender gap and provides economic growth.

Not only does education help the individual person, but it also helps communities drastically. According to the article “The Positive Impacts of Education” , “Education is becoming one of the most important factors to a person’s success in today’s society. Whether a person is living in poverty or among the wealthiest in the world, education is necessary to advance in any situation.” so therefore education is also necessary to the advancement of communities.

Education is an integral part of a better society. Some examples of education’s positive impact is that it helps to decrease poverty, because those living in poverty are much less likely to get an education, and an education is what we need to break the cycle of poverty. By giving people an education, they can then get a job, and a steady income so that they can support themselves and then give their children an education. Being educated can also help to promote more health within a community. Those who are educated can much more easily take the precautions necessary to protect themselves from sickness, while those living in poor countries or communities do not always have the resources or knowledge to protect themselves or others. Lastly an equal education helps to provide equal opportunity, whether that be for both men or women, or for people of different ethnicities or backgrounds. With the increase in educated people comes a larger population that can support and contribute to the economy.

So it seems education is the answer to many issues in today’s world, but since education is considered so important in our world, this makes it that much harder for those who do not have access to a quality education. Relating to this, In one article, “The Wellbeing Effect of Education” , it writes that “Education is often used by people to shape their ‘social identity’, framing their understanding of themselves and their relationships with other people. A positive, affirming social identity is associated with a range of positive outcomes in life, such as increased wellbeing, health, social trust and political engagement.” This obviously is a wonderful idea that education can positively help people in their lives so much, however, the issue is that, if not everyone has equal opportunities for education, instead of becoming a tool to solve social injustices, it will become its own social injustice. So how are we going to fix that?

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Importance of Education by Mason is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Lucy 10 months ago

Mason-
    I love how you tie back the importance of education to bettering society. The inverse correlation between proficient education within a society and the overall wealth, success and safety within that place proves the importance of education overall. This seems to put many societies into a positive feedback loop, with money coming from educated people into the school system, and better educating children who will grow up to financially support school in the same districts. It can also have the opposite reaction, where uneducated communities will end up with worse school systems. This article (http://www.athens.edu/business-journal/spring-2013/the-value-of-education-in-todays-american-society-a-glimpse-into-the-current-way-america-supports-the-educational-system/) talks about that loop a little bit.
    Lucy

2. Chloe 11 months ago

Mason,
    I found your ideas on why education is important interesting. Many people think the only reason we should pursue education at a young age is to go to college and get a job, but your ideas on ending poverty, bettering the health of society, and creating opportunities added to this idea. I thought this article was interesting, http://www.goabroad.org/10-reasons-why-education-matters, because it says that by providing better education for our students, we can bridge the gap between cultures and create a more diverse, culturally responsible world. I hope to hear more about what you think after reading the linked article.
    Chloe

3. Sean 11 months ago

Mason,
    I agree 100% that Education is one of the most, if not the most important thing in life. If people don’t get a substantial education they are so many times more likely to have a bad life and be in poverty. I also agree that having an education provides for a more equal community for both genders.

4. Bobby 11 months ago

Mason,
    I’m glad someone decided to write about this. With all the criticism of education these days, it’s good to see people defending it and appreciating it. Especially from http://schoolsofthought.blogs.cnn.com/2013/06/27/5-ways-students-changed-in-the-last-40-years/ and “But female students are narrowing the math gap, or even eliminating it.” You mention that in your post as well, and I’m glad that’s getting better. Thank you for writing about this.
    Bobby