Two of the largest factors of the human personality are nature and nurture. Some argue that the two are separate, but others argue that they are interrelated. As science has delved deeper into the human person, nature and nurture have shown equal importance to the qualities of the human being. However, Psychology is often not as exact of a science compared to Physics or Biology. With that, there is nothing necessarily proving that either of these factors are truly that important, rather, time and time again there have been patterns showing the effects of both environment and genetics.

For example, a mother could raise her child to have good manners which is an example of environment, but the child may respond better to her whims based on genetics. Furthermore, a child could be born blond, but could grow up to the expectations that society has for blonds. In this sense, we cannot be outside either our environment or our genetics, but then how can people not conform to society?

There are occasions where a person does not fit to society’s standards. This can be due to a lack of relationship with a caregiver or abuse or it can be rooted in psychological problems. These developments are just as much a part of the reality as a functioning society. So getting a person to behave and contribute positively to greater good should be easy so long as they are raised right and standards are set for them.

However, according to this article by The Economist, the actions of criminals is not so much dependent on just how someone lives. Even if society were to be truly equal to all and every person were raised well, we cannot avoid the genetics of it. The human person is prone to some amount of trouble, and some more than others. The truth is that personality may not be something predictable or easy for science in this moment and interference with personality holds its own moral implications.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Can the Way You Were Raised Make You a Criminal? by Jacqueline is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Clarissa 2 months ago

Jacqueline,
    I thought that this was a very interesting piece and was well structured. Your information was clear and you made sure to explain it in a clear way.

2. Kira 6 months ago

Hey yo Jacqueline!
    This is pretty neat. I’ve heard loads about the influences of “nature vs nurture” in my psychology class as well as science classes, and I find it to be an interesting concept. I have often found myself questioning the role of nature as well as nurture when it comes to the ways in which animals, both human and non human, behave. I personally believe that there will always be crime in some way or another due to genetic predisposition, unless of course there are no laws… well you get the point! Here’s an article about this that you might find interesting:
    http://www.medicaldaily.com/nature-vs-nurture-debate-50-year-twin-study-proves-it-takes-two-determine-human-334686

3. Noah 6 months ago

Jacqueline,
    The study in the article you linked is pretty troubling and interesting. With a sample size of over 500,000 people in Sweden, the fact that bottom-fifth-income adolescent were seven times as likely to commit crimes is a really powerful, well backed-up number. Even if when adjusting for other factors such as genetics, this ratio seems to be more significant than the other “nature” factors. I think the way a person is raised is just flat-out usually what determines their likelihood of becoming these types of criminals, and while research into the genetic component is important and interesting, the “nurturing” side of the coin is more important by far.