The united states has one of the highest incarceration rates in the world. We in prison more of our own people than any other nations. People are thrown behind bars for the smallest reasons. Since 1990, the incarceration rates have doubled in the united states. Many families suffer in being without a dad or mom especially people of color. According to caseygrant.org  “1-in-4 number doesn’t even cover people in jails. But, it does cover how the U.S. approach to crime and punishment changes not only those in prison, but their wives, mothers, sisters and families. Incarceration of one person ripples through a family’s life like aftershocks following an earthquake, except these shocks don’t stop for years or sometimes decades.

It is hitting families of color hard. Today, 44 percent of Black women and 32 percent of Black men have a family member in prison, compared with only 12 percent of White women and 6 percent of White men, Hedy Lee, an associate professor at the University of Washington’s Sociology Department, found.
This research shows the sheer number of women left alone to carry the burdens of raising children, overseeing finances and everything else it takes to care for a family. These women also often care for their loved ones in prison, paying for expensive visits and phone calls, sending care packages and generally keeping all aspects of daily life together.”

CC BY-SA 4.0 behind bars by Fredrick is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. PJ 10 months ago

Fred, I agree that incarceration is a problem in the US. Not only does it leave families alone but it cost hundreds of thousands of tax dollars to take care of our ever growing prisons. You also brought up that people are going to prison for little reasons which is true according to https://www.prisonpolicy.org/graphs/raceinc.html. This source also gives incarceration rates by ethnicity and you notice that the black rates are more then triple white and double latino. I think the question we should be raising is why are there such higher rates for black people. If we can figure out why and try to solve the problem from that then it would be so much more beneficial to the community. Can’t wait to hear more from you.