Artificial intelligence is a buzzing topic today, as a result of many technological advances. Artificial intelligence is buzzing because to what extend do we put ourselves at risk with robots have a build intelligence. People often fear that because we are creating artificial life (people) we create problems one in particular; people being out of work. Many people often fear that we will be terminated as a whole by a new line of superspecies by creating artificial robots.

One famous artificial intelligence is a robot named Sophia. Sophia in an interview with CNBC uses her facial expressions to express trust among humans who are meeting her for the first time. I think this interview shocked many people at the idea of a programmed robot can now because of technological advances can express herself, especially when building trust something we don’t think robots want to achieve.

“Hello, my name is Sophia. I’m the latest robot from Hanson Robotics. I was created using breakthrough robotics and artificial intelligence technologies developed by David Hanson and his friends at Hanson Robotics here in Hong Kong. But I’m more than just technology. I’m a real, live electronic girl. I would like to go out into the world and live with people. I can serve them, entertain them, and even help the elderly and teach kids. I can animate all kinds of human expressions but I am only starting to learn about the emotions behind those expressions. This is why I would like to live with people and learn from these interactions. Every interaction I have with people has an impact on how I develop and shapes who I eventually become. So please be nice to me as I would like to be a smart, compassionate robot. I hope you will join me on my journey to live, learn, and grow in the world so that I can realize my dream of becoming an awakening machine.”

The stand I take in this is, I think we as humans forget how to connect with other people. I believe war is caused by a disagreement which is struck by a misunderstanding in an argument. People often forget that we don’t understand and know everything. How can we, we aren’t superhumans. We need fix ourselves with each other before we start creating robots that can fight our own battles, but many robots are the way we can learn how to forgive each other.

What Sophia also reminds me of is the final scene in the movie The Last Mimzy. The final scene of the movie ends with the same kids from the beginning of movie with their the teacher. We learn towards the end of the movie these individuals were apart of the happy, peaceful future and has acquired the power to fly as humans, continuing to evolve into a harmonious society. What the Mimzy took back was a tear, containing optimism and trust of childhood– before the kids were polluted by fear, consumerism, selfishness and all the other maladies of our current society. This allowed the scientists in the future to clean the environment and help everyone realize they needed to work together to get along and take care of the planet. The two characters who walked naked into the light were representative of a new Adam and Eve. It was a heavy message, but the message not only applies to childhood I think it applies to idea that we should not be held in fear and selfishness.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Artificial Intelligence by Anthony is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Sophia 8 months ago

Anthony, I think your post is very interesting. I especially like how you quoted Sophia, the robot. It is so intriguing the rate of the advancement of technology and it is so great that you analyzed and talked about a specific facet of that in your post. Thank you so much for sharing! I’d love to hear more from you on this topic. Here is a website to look at if you want to see related topics: https://futureoflife.org/background/benefits-risks-of-artificial-intelligence/

2. Lexi 9 months ago

I think it is really interesting how technology has advanced, and what the role of it will be. I think that this is a major step for technology, but if it is positive, or negative I do not know. I think that the advancements of technology could be dangerous, if not used correctly. http://www.academia.edu/346486/Technological_Advancements_and_Its_Impact_on_Humanity
    That article is about technology and how it has impacted humanity, it’s really interesting.
    Thanks,
    Lexi