An artifact is something created by human hands for our use and according its purpose is how much we value it. My culture is a mix between Spanish, African, and Taino culture, which creates a special distinction of other Latin american culture, affecting our language, music, art and gastronomy.

Every Dominican household has its place to save the change. Back in my country at home we have a special spot to place the change. At home we had it on the console table in the living room underneath the vase of flowers.

A Dominican peso in the heads it have our Founding Father Juan Pablo Duarte and in the tails our coat of arms. They constantly remind me where I come from. They have our national symbol, the coat of arms, which contains everything about my culture and my country. I didn’t appreciate Dominicans pesos that much like I do now. They make me  remember the history of my land. For you, a peso is 0.02 cents but for me is more than that. It is buying some candy, at the bodega of the corner…. For me, it is my history, what represents myself.

We Dominicans are very proud about our nation. Platanos, Merengue, Bachata, Casave, we carry our culture wherever we go. And we hold its love in our hearts wherever we go.

CC BY-SA 4.0 What Reminds You Of Home? by Manuel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.