One of the most difficult things I lost through migrating was part of my family, and getting to see my cousins in person. Even though I haven’t lost contact completely, it doesn’t feel the same way as being with them or receiving a hug from them.  When we were in DR, we were constantly hanging out and playing games, but now we can only video chat.

Most importantly I miss my Grandmother  and the idiosyncrasy of her voice when she talks – it reminds me of all the moments we had together – beach trips, cooking rice, dancing bachata…  Now we still speak almost every day but it’s not the same.

I also lost the tropical summer and the fun times that I had through the years.  Going to the most beautiful beaches and rivers i had been with my family before. The beaches of DR  aren’t like the ones in the city here where everyone goes to and it’s every hard to find a good part of the beach to be in without having to bumping into people  for that specific spot.

What is something that made it worth it?

Immigration was worth it cause you get to see and explore totally different cultural places you’ve never been before  and  everything starts to amuse you because you have never seen this part of the world.

I don’t feel like an American – not at all.  I am an immigrant, I am Dominican, and I don’t feel like I belong.  When I hear that word, I don’t feel like it belongs to community I was born in.  No matter how long I stay here, I will still feel the same.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Short Story of Life by Alberto is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Adam 4 months ago

Dear Alberto
    I am so excited about your podcast that stood out for me was.”Most importantly I miss my Grandmother and the idiosyncrasy of her voice when she talks” that’s so emotion because I know how to feel like leaving your grandmother behind. One aspect of your podcast that stood out for me was “ I also lost the tropical summer and the fun times that I had through the years”. I think this is sad because he miss his home country and he missed hang out with his family. Your podcast reminds me of something that happen to me. One time I when I immigrated from yemen to the u.s it wasn’t fun anymore because i didn’t know anyone and it was sad because back home i used to know everyone. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next time, because it makes me feel that i could learn about your home land or your life.

2. Violet 4 months ago

Hi Alberto,
    I really enjoyed reading your piece. I like how you start out by talking about what you lost by immigrating to the US. Especially when it comes to distance and relationships with family is always hard. My favorite line was the one about how your Grandmother’s voice reminds you of the past. For me its always certain smells that brings back memories. I found your optimism refreshing, you would have all the excuse in the world to be angry, but instead you found the bright side of things. Can’t wait to see what you write next.
    Violet