My name is Stephanie Castro and I am 18 years old. I was born in Orange County, California and raised in the Bronx. I’ve lived in New York for 18 years. Some things that are important to me are my education and my family. One turning point that I had in my life was getting pregnant at the age of 14. That impacted my personal life and interfered with my education. Having a baby very young left me without a choice but to mature faster than usual because I had to do everything for someone else other than myself. My son is the main reason to why I came to this school and decided to get my diploma. My son is the most important thing to me because he is now my motivation.

As much as I like school, there’s not really much to do at pulse but do your work and get out of high school. I’m good at hands-on projects, group projects and public speaking when  I get comfortable.

I do a lot out of school, I’m a very active person. I’ve been playing basketball since I was in 5th grade. I love musical arts, starting 4th grade I’ve been the main lead in four plays in school. Such as “The Sound of Music,” “The Wizard of Oz,” “Annie,” and “Mary Poppins.” It’s as if I was somewhere in where I can express my feelings whether it be on the court or on a stage.

Photo by kevin dooley

CC BY-SA 4.0 On the court or on the stage by Stephanie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Bobby 3 months ago

Stephanie,
    I cannot fully express in words how proud I am that you’ve stuck with your son through your life. With abortion gaining momentum nowadays, (from http://www.bing.com/search?q=how+many+people+support+abortion&form=IE11TR&src=IE11TR&pc=EUPP_HPDTDFJS) 59% say abortion should be legal in all or most cases, it would have been the easier option to do that to your son, but you didn’t and stuck it out, and I’m so happy that you did. Thank you for your courage.
    Bobby

2. Violet 4 months ago

Hi Stephanie,
    I would like to applauded your strength and bravery. So many young mothers do not stay in school, and I’m glad you decided to stay and that you see the importance in education. Balance is so important, and school can not be everything. Without outside school activities I think I would lose my mind. I think it’s really cool that you’re into theater. I couldn’t sing and dance even if I was payed a million dollars. Can’t wait to see what else you write.
    Violet.