Every time I look at my parents’ picture of the day they got married, I enjoy it because they educated me and gave me life to be in this world. I grew up with them. They are very important for me, even though my sister and my mom are separated from my father in the Dominican Republic.  My mom is already in the process so he can come.

This artifact evokes so many memories of my father, Marino: when he raised me, when he went to Domingo and I saw him, and finally when I was half years old, I spent  me vacations together with my dad. He took me out and everything, and I never missed anything of him. I went to holy Sunday every week.  I have been separated from my father for two years, ever since I moved to New York.  When I look at this artifact, I think of him. 

Transcript: He asks me what I am doing, and I tell him I’m watching TV. “aqui en viendo televsion”

I need him. I want him to be here. My dad is the person I love most in this world. It is difficult for me that my dad is not at my grandmother’s house on holy Sunday. My strongest memory that I have of my father is once when he went to bed and was watching tv, he did not realize that it was me behind him. I gave him a kiss on the cheek and he gave me one too.

When I go to sleep every night I think about that the first time I came to the United States. I start to cry because I feel lonely and we need him. The day we came here I know he was sad. He is the best father. I need my father to tell me, “I love you and I’m coming soon.”

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Father by Darlin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Victor 7 months ago

I’m relay interested in your podcast it reminds me of the story when my parents told me when they came to new York . Im really looking forward to knowing more about your relationship with your dad even tho you guys are really far fro each other.

A sentence that made me thin was “When I go to sleep every night I think about that the first time I came to the United States. I start to cry because I feel lonely and we need him. The day we came here I know he was sad.”
    it made me feel bad for you.

thanks for writing this in youth voices, i look forward for your next podcast.

2. Victor 8 months ago

you forgot to edit your podcast cause there is a lot of silence parts you should go back AND FIX IT

3. Leannette 8 months ago

I’m interested in your story it reminds of when I came to NY no so long ago, I really looking forward to knowing more about your relationship with your dad and you now that you guys are in the long distance.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “When I go to sleep every night I think about that the first time I came to the United States. I start to cry because I feel lonely and we need him. The day we came here I know he was sad.” I think this is sad because Im going for the same thing my dad is in PR and me in NY and he’s My Hero

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I miss you much I really hope to see you again soon,Thank you so much for taking care of me.