Educating The Future Generation

In 1861 the Civil War took place, this battle was fought so that people could have their civil rights. This war lasted for four years which makes it ending in 1865. After the war people were still riled up and wanted to take action on the problem so some white supremacists started a group called the Ku Klux Klan (KKK). This clan was a racists clan that wanted to get rid of people of color. Finally they decided something needed to be done with our rights so Two people went up against each other in the courts, the case was called Plessy v. Ferguson. The case was over the law of separate but equal. They ended up winning and you weren’t supposed to not be aloud to treat people of color like property. The slave days were over.

Now here’s the problem, people are now how many years later getting all worked up about how statues are glorifying our past and honoring the slave days. So the way they decided to deal with this was to start taking down statues and monuments across the whole United States. This action of taking down statues is starting white supremacists rallies because these statues shape the landscape and show their hard work in their history.

In the article “It’s Time to Teach Our Ugly American History” by Joseph McGil, it says “instead of erasing history, why don’t we educate our students about it honestly.” So future generations can understand why. Joseph has made a move in educating the future generations and even the present generations. He takes students, educators, and other individual who want to join on sleepovers in the slave dwellings to teach them about the areas that the slaves were kept. He wants them to feel the presence of the slaves that were there. It is important for people to have this feeling because they need to know what the slaves were feeling and what we did before the laws were changed. They need to know what Americans were doing and how the enslaved were treated.
Everybody has their own opinion and the have the right to share it with others. Other people think that the statues should be totally gone, for example in the article “Baltimore Took Down Confederate Monuments. Now It Has To Decide What To Do With Them” by Merrit Kennedy, She has a quote from Scott that says, “Personally I think that they should be melted down and repurposed for statues that can show true Baltimoreans and true American, great American history.” Another quote comes from the article “PRO/CON: Should cities be allowed to take down Confederate monuments?” by Mitch Landrieu, Washington Post, and Alfred L. Brophy, The Conversation, adapted by Newsela staff, that says, “They are an inaccurate representation of our past, an insult to our present and a poor prescription for our future. The right way, then, is to do away with these symbols of injustice.” These are both just two peoples opinions on the fact of the matter. These quotes show the opinions of two individuals that believe that the monuments should be taken down. My question is are these individuals educated on the monuments history and not only on one side of the dark history. The support taking them down but if you dig deeper maybe you could find out more information about these individuals.

We need to take action and start educating and spending our taxes on the education and not on taking the statues down. We need to have more history taught inside and even outside of schools. Citizens need to understand why we need to keep the monuments up. It is important that people understand the reasoning behind these monuments, why they were put up and why people don’t want them taken down and why others do want to take them down. Everybody has the right to free speech and if they want to voice their opinion then so be it because not one opinion is ever wrong, the statues remind us of how we got to where we are today and all the pain we went through to get to where we are today.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Educating Our Future Generations by Josie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Max 1 month ago

Josie,
    I think this is an interesting article. I agree that we not forget our past but I do not think the statues should be left standing. They glorify individuals who had strong racist views and in the present day racism should not be encouraged.

2. Ravi 3 months ago

Josie, it was interesting reading this article. In a post by the New York Times i read https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/15/opinion/confederate-monuments-white-supremacy-charlottesville.html
    it talks about how these statues are just a ground for the neo nazi and white supremacist to be symbols of white supremacya and are a sign of hate and not heritage. The times these statues were put up were in times of hate (1890 – 1920). These times were days of racial violence; they were a way to push back on the progress that african americans made, which was very little to begin with. In these times there were many lynchings or black folks. I liked reading your article and understood your side but there is also another.

3. Eri 4 months ago

I am happy to see articles like this one is. The future generation is key. I am glad to be a part of it and to study in one of the best colleges: https://aab-edu.net/