After reading ‘Brave New World’ and ‘1984’, it was easy to come to the decision that Huxley’s ‘Brave New World’ is the most relevant in our society of 2017. Many of the concepts portrayed in ‘Brave New World’ seem extremely unlikely and many are, but there are also several that reign true today. The caste system in BNW (Alpha, Delta, Gamma) has been a true aspect in America throughout it’s history, but has only become more prevalent as years have passed. In today’s world, you’re either first class (wealthy), middle class–which is the majority of society–or a Gamma, the lowest, poorest class. Despite the overwhelming truth behind classes in the community, one aspect of the novel where Huxley does a poor job of predicting the future is in the individuality of people. People today are the most diverse and unique America has seen in it’s history.

The individuality of people has become more possible with the technology advancements achieved over the years since ‘brave New world was released. The technology in America and around the world has not only been advanced and invented for internet terms but have also made a breakthrough in medical science and other highly important professions. Without the knowledge of new technology, there would not be nearly as much advancement in 2017 as there is. We would be stuck in the 19th and 20th centuries. Technology has also played a major role in bringing people together across America and around the world. In recent years, advancement in medical technology has become more and more prevalent to advance medicine.

Overall, America has changed for the better based on the future predictions in ‘Brave New World’.

CC BY-SA 4.0 What has the Future Become? by Reagan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Noah 9 months ago

Reagan,
    “Brave New World” is definitely an eerie and unnerving read today, especially with how it “predicted” some of our technology and habits of using it. While I don’t think the world is headed toward a situation that severe anytime soon, our use of technology will likely have to change or else it will create some nasty negative effects. While you’d think the internet would make coordinated activism more popular, it’s starting to make complacency even more popular. People read something once, they maybe discuss it, and then they feel satisfied. I know this isn’t applicable to everyone and every issue, but I hope that we eventually learn to all use communication technology more to organize activism rather than just all agree about how bad something is while not actively doing all they can to change it.

2. Zoe 9 months ago

Hi Reagan!
    I completely agree with you on the diversity of America. In that respect, Huxley was definitely wrong. I also can see the caste system. My question for you though is if the socioeconomic classes of the US are becoming more caste-like. Are less people able to move about economically and socially? Why do you think that is? I look forward to more of your posts!

3. Sara 9 months ago

Reagan,
    I agree with you that technology has really defined and changed our society within the past few years. There are many positive attributes for technology that you mentioned above from medical to personal. These have brought us closer to people, but this closeness is different than the closeness of 40, even 20, years ago. I found a really interesting article, https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/17/technology-changing-relationships_n_5884042.html, this goes into the ways that technology has changed relationships and what that means for us as a society. The way that you wrote of this subject was very interesting and informative, keep it up. I am excited to read more from you in the future.