There are two kinds of people in the world: those who see the glass as half empty, have a negative attitude about most things and are complacent with the status quo; those who see the glass as half full, have a can-do attitude, embrace challenges and serve as a role model for others. Which kind of person is better – the one who accept status quo or the one who don’t accept status quo?  

First of all, I want to give the definition of status quo: status quo is a Latin word for existing state. In the book Brave New World and 1984, both main characters don’t accept their status quo. However, their party/society control everything about them even their thinking. So, should they stop fighting for what they want and live peacefully in their community?

“One of the beliefs we as human beings embrace is that our current lot in life is our eternal lot. We simply accept the circumstances in which we find ourselves; and we are truly content with those circumstances” Accepting our current state is not a bad thing since we will get comfort from it but human should always have dreams and goals. That’s the only way we can improve ourselves. For example, if Martin Luther King Jr. simply accepted the status quo and allowed his dream to be silenced by fear, he wouldn’t have been able to fulfill his purpose and lead a movement towards the achievement of a dream.

In conclusion, “challenging the status quo takes an open mind, open heart, and open will.” We are not here to stay content. We are here to do better and make things better.

Sources: Don’t Accept the Status Quo, Brave New World, 1984, Challenging the Status Quo

CC BY-SA 4.0 Should We Be Satisfied with Status Quo? by Hannah is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.