In my AP English class, we recently read George Orwell’s 1984. In this book, there is a very strong nationalist feeling. It permeates throughout the country. Fear of other places grips everyone, war is constant, and war prisoners are publicly executed to boost national moral. Right now in America, a widespread fear of other places is setting in. The recent travel ban on Muslim countries and the growing want to build an American-Mexican wall proves this. If America continues in this isolationist way, how will it affect us?

Education at the collegiate level in America will definitely be changed due to this fear. Many students from Iran, one of the countries on the travel ban list, sends thousands of students to America every year to study. One of the greatest things about studying with students from other places is that they teach American students about the world. Participation in education allows for a more understanding global community. Colleges will also suffer financially because foreign students pay out of state tuition. The country could also be affected financially. In the 1920s-30s, America’s isolationism caused the Great Depression and millions suffered.

As a global leader, the growing mistrust of other places could set an example others are sure to follow. Many other countries look to America as a leader, but also for help. If we cut off the outside world, we may inflict more pain than anything else. America has led the fight for human rights and third world development and sustainability. Backing out now could reverse all previous work. An isolated American would affect much more than just our country.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Isolated America by Cicely is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Zach 10 months ago

This is really interesting commentary, Cicely. One of the things that really fascinates me about our country is that many see our diversity as a weakness, while it is obviously one of our biggest strengths. Very few other places in the world have as much diversity as us, because we are a country composed almost entirely of immigrants, more so than almost any other place in the world. According to The Washington Post, diversity is almost unanimously accepted by the scientific community as being a strength,
    not a weakness (https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/wp/2014/11/26/diversity-is-good-why-doesnt-everyone-agree/?utm_term=.085b6407b20b). I look forward to your next post.

2. Olga 11 months ago

Dear Cicely,
    I am impressed about your post “Isolated America” because you compared America with the society of Oceania in 1984. And I totally agree with you about the similar things that it’s happening in our society because since we got a new president he is trying to make “America better again” by excluding others that come from another place. That is unfair because many people who have immigrated here are living here for a good reason. That connects to the book of 1984 of how the Party wanted their people to be under their control and make them believe that outsiders where dangerous and that they always wanted war. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “Many other countries look to America as a leader, but also for help” because that is true many people from other countries have come the USA for better living, and more opportunities and that is something good for our country too, but if we cut out the interaction that we have with others that changes the society of America. Another sentence that stood out to me is “One of the greatest things about studying with students from other places is that they teach American students about the world. ” because that makes us more united too as a whole world, and American stood get to learn about the needs of others to be able to help people that have come from other places. Thanks for writing. I look forward to seeing you write next because your post was fascinated to me. You clearly stated of how our country is starting to be Isolated and if it keeps on going like that we will be apart from other countries.

• Olga M
  3. Mauro 11 months ago

Dear Cicely,

I am fascinated by your post, “ Isolated America”, because your interpretation of the book and its similarities with our current society are accurate. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “One of the greatest things about studying with students from other places is that they teach American students about the world. Participation in education allows for a more understanding” I think this is encouraging because diversity in learning does expand the mind and more people should come this realization which will teach us to better coexist with each other. Another sentence that I enjoyed was: “If we cut off the outside world, we may inflict more pain than anything else.” This stood out for me because this current isolation is in fact causing more pain which creates hatred for others. Lastly, thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I appreciate the fact that the problem with isolation was clearly identified.

Mauro

4. Raymond 12 months ago

Cicely, I think your post expounds on some of the most critical problems plaguing America. Although America was built on immigrants and foreign assistance, we have come to neglect our origins. The majority of the older population have become anti-immigration, and with the recent events on the news it would seem like America wants to shut its borders to all. This fear of immigration may extend to many European states soon, especially with their influx of middle-easterners as the population gradually developed a mistrust in the foreigners.
    Here is an article with infographics and about the UN’s perspectives of immigrants due to the refugee crisis with respect to each nation.
    This fear of outsiders could lead to a decline in national productivity when the population has shifted to be populated by more older generations that are in retirement.